Need help with Chicken Kiev

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarius

Assistant Cook
Ok, everytime I buy a kiev (chicken fillet with garlic butter inside) it either sticks to the oven tray and gets ripped apart when I want to take it out, or all the garlic butter escapes through the way it was put in.

My question is, to make my own, how do I insert the garlic butter in a way that it will not escape?

I'm sick if having all the goodness in the tray instead of in the chicken!

This dish is traditionally fried rather than baked but either can work. The keys are:

The compound butter must be cold when rolled into the chicken.

Start with a flattened piece of chicken and roll/fold it around the butter to enclose it completely.

Flour and bread the chicken and chill the combo.

Fry in oil or bake in the oven.

To enclose the butter completely, place the piece of butter along one edge of the chicken and fold that edge up and over the butter. Make it a tight roll. Then fold both sides in to the middle and roll it up tightly.

Cook to an internal temp of 165 F. If you overcook it, the risk of losing the filling increases.

If Baking, use a greased/oiled pan.

I find that baking Chicken Kiev in the oven gives it a wonderful flavor and keeps from sitting in grease. I brown them first for a couple of minutes then lay them in a cast iron skillet to bake. I've never had them stick in the cast iron pan, but if I'm using a larger pan I either spray the baking pan with Pam or any other non-stick spray or lay a piece of parchment paper over the pan to keep the rolls from sticking. I agree that folding the edge of the chicken over the butter filling keeps it from leaking out. I put the butter in the deep part of the chicken roll rather than on the edge. This is one of our favorite dishes. :chef: :chef: :chef:

Back
Top Bottom