"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 10-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #11
Master Chef
Sure, you could stuff it in a turkey, Alix. And you can doctor it up if you want. Add cooked, crumbled sausage, sauteed mushrooms, or chopped oysters. You can use chicken broth instead of water, and if you use the oysters, you can use the broth as part of the liquid.

Here's what I like to make for Thanksgiving:

2 boxes chicken flavor instant stuffing mix
1-1/2 stick butter, melted, divided
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
4-6 cloves minced garlic, or 1 tbl jarred minced garlic
approx. 1 cup mayonaisse (NOT salad dressing)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
3 eggs
1 cup milk

Directions: In medium bowl, mix together stuffing mix, 1 stick melted butter and chicken broth. Put half this mixture in buttered casserole (I use small or medium old speckled porcelain covered steel roaster) and set aside. Microwave or saute celery, onions and garlic in remaining butter (may substitute olive oil or bacon grease) until onions are translucent and celery is tender. Spread on top of stuffing mixture in casserole. Next, add a layer of chicken or turkey. At this point, you may add whole or chopped oysters, sauteed mushrooms, water chestnuts, cooked sausage...whatever your heart desires. Spread a layer of mayo over the top, making sure to cover completely. Top with remaining stuffing mixture. Beat eggs in milk, and pour slowly over top. You may have to stab with a knife a few times to help milk mixture soak in. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and bake casserole, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Turn heat down to 350, and bake about another 60 minutes, or until bubbling and crusty on top and bottom.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #12
Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
Thanksgiving Dinner was a success

Well all went very very well. I cooked up a storm and everyone ate it all. There was little left over and I was thinking I would have way to much food. They left a tiny amount of squash for my animals I did ask them to. and there will be turkey stew. but the potatos went so fast I was hopping for left overs to make cottage pie. Oh well there is instant in the cupboard that will work just fine. I did make a fantastic squash dish and when I figure out where to post it I will share it with you all. It came totally from the top of my head and tastes out of this world.

ArticKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Glad your Thanksgiving went well. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you and all other Canadians on here!

amber is offline   Reply With Quote