Here's one of my favorites:
Fesenjan (Pomegranate Walnut Chicken)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1.5kg chicken , portioned
1 onion , chopped
200g ground walnuts
80ml hot water
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp sugar
salt , and freshly ground pepper
500ml pomegranate juice , or 125ml of pomegranate syrup
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Add in the chicken and fry over a high heat, stirring often, until browned on all sides.
3. Add in the onion and fry, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
3b Add walnuts
4. Gradually mix in the hot water, then mix in the lemon juice, tomato puree and sugar.
5. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Mix in the pomegranate juice or syrup.
7. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the dish for 45 minutes, stirring now and then, until the chicken is tender.
8. Place the chicken portions on a serving plate, spoon over the sauce and serve.