Need turkey help, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hungabmom

Assistant Cook
I'm sorry if I am not posting to the correct thread - I have a rival countertop roaster oven and I'd like to cook my turkey in it. how long should I cook a 12-14 lb bird? Do I roast with the lid up for the last bit to brown it? Should I start it in the oven then transfer it to the roaster? Please help! Thanks!

You need to cook your bird at aprox. 20mins per pound at 350 heat. So that would be 4-5 hours for your bird.

No help from me on the lid up or down thing. Sorry. I think I would likely roast breast down in the roaster and then for the last half hour or so transfer to a very hot oven to brown the skin.

I always do a 12 to 13 lb. turkey in the oven. Not sure about a counter top roaster but it can't be much different. The oven temp is at 350 and the turkey is done completely and a gorgeous deep golden color in no more than 3 hours. The temp at the thigh is 170 degrees.

We have one of these roasters and did a turkey in it several years ago. It was done faster in the roaster and it also had a lovely golden brown skin to it..We found that the meat was also more moist than in our reg oven..Go figure:LOL: I'm planning to use it again at Christmas as a small turkey is in store for the 24th. for sandwiches...I had the roaster set at 350..Mind you this is a fairly good size roaster.

Roaster Oven - Home & Garden - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review
First picture is like my oven.

kadesma

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I am not posting to the correct thread - I have a rival countertop roaster oven and I'd like to cook my turkey in it. how long should I cook a 12-14 lb bird? Do I roast with the lid up for the last bit to brown it? Should I start it in the oven then transfer it to the roaster? Please help! Thanks!

Welcome to DC. hungabmom.

Here is a sample recipe from the Rival ssite for roast chicken - 31/2-4 lbs. The directions say to leave to cover. Doesn't say an oven is needed first. I would check for doness at about the halfway point. Hope this helps.

Rival Recipes - Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken

Back
Top Bottom