"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Wild and Brown Rice mix (cooked) with green onion, water chestnuts, dried cranberries and dried cherries. Yum!

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
sweet italian turkey sausage, removed from casing and browned in grapeseed oil; crimini mushrooms, celery, and onions sweated in butter; 1 bag of pepperidge farm herb seasoned bread cubes; 1 bag of pepperidge farm seasoned corn bread cubes; 2 cups or so of college inn chicken broth, 1/2 stick of butter.

everything except the broth is mixed in a large bowl, then spooned into a 13 x 9 deep pyrex baking dish.

the chicken broth is drizzled over the entire thing until you can start to see it pooling in the bottom of the dish.

cover the dish in foil, and bake with the turkey during it's last 20 minutes in the oven. remove and tent the turkey with foil. while the turkey rests, remove the foil from the stuffing dish and dot with butter. return to oven and crank up heat to 450. bake a few minutes until the butter melts and the top begins to crust.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
Senior Cook
I was looking for a turkey stuffing, too, and thought Ina Garten's sausage and herb stuffing to be pretty much perfect.

Link: The Best Thanksgiving Stuffing Ever | LimeLife
  • 6 cups 1-inch bread cubes, white or sourdough (1 1/2 pound loaf)
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups medium-diced yellow onion (2 onions)
  • 1 cup medium-diced celery (2 stalks)
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and large-diced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
-Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
-Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Remove the bread cubes to a very large bowl.
-Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, melt the butter and add the onions, celery, apples, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add to the bread cubes.
-In the same saute pan, cook the sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking. Add to the bread cubes and vegetables.
-Add the chicken stock and cranberries to the mixture, mix well, and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.
And that's it! Of course, you can add your own variations on the recipe too. Throw in some carrots, mushrooms, whatever you want. I'm a fan of adding in a little Bell's Seasoning and think an egg or two makes the stuffing a bit more moist.
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Master Chef
My idea is not to stuff it at all, or if you want to stuff it, I'd say make stuffing separate from the bird. In this way bird cooks better. Now this is just an idea.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Mine is very similar to the one Linux posted, only I don't use the parsley (but I do use a bit of poultry seasoning) and I use equal parts Italian, sourdough and pumpernickel. I also glaze the bird with an apple/ancho glaze
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Dang, now I can't wait til Thanksgiving!!
You don't have to...celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving with your Northern Friends this weekend!

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote