"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
Master Chef

New Spin on Thanksgiving Turkey

I have an idea that I've never seen, or tasted with a roasted turkey. I won't be able to make it due to DW's tastes, and desire for a traditional turkey.

Here's my idea; Place a combination of oregano, basil, rosemary, fennel, and cayenne pepper under the skin. Insert lardoons of pepperoni into the flesh. You might even place some sun-dried tomato under the skin.

For the stuffing/dressing, instead of the normal sage, salt, and pepper, with whatever else you throw in, use bread-cubes that have been tossed with cubed pepperoni, Italian sausage, sauteed mushrooms, onion, peppers of your choice, oregano, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and basil, with S & P of course. Moisten with a combination of turkey broth and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Other option - replace the bread cubes with brown rice and add celery as well.

I'm thinking that this would make a great and unique roasted, or smoke turkey dinner. You could change up the sides as well, to fit with the Italian flavored turkey.

As I said, this idea simply popped into my head somewhere around lunch time today.

My other idea is to add the dressing ingredients, minus the bread cubes, to raw bread dough, form into loaves, or hoagie buns, and bake for sandwiches, or dipping.

So, anybody else think this might be a good turkey? This crazy man wants to know.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Master Chef

Sounds like a flying pizza!!!

We could replace the bread cubes with pasta!

I would be happy to sample it on any day except Thanksgiving!

On Thanksgiving I like to have the traditional dry, overcooked, all American Mom style turkey that I grew up with!

Old 11-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I think it sounds amazing! Although I, too, couldn't give up a traditional roasted turkey for Thanksgiving. But maybe for a cold, snowy day in January...
Old 11-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

Sorry Buddie, but I gotta be honest. I just sounds "wrong" to me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Sounds delicious.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I wonder if you could still do this with thanksgiving leftovers.

Make the dressing. Slice some turkey and put some dressing on top. Lay on some more turkey. Into the oven to heat. Before that, cover with some good cranberry sauce so the turkey stays moist. I like cranberry sauce mixed with jalapenos, and I think this would be compatible with your recipe.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
Head Chef

Sorry, it just sounds wrong to me too. I think the pepperoni under the skin, at least commercially made pepperoni, would let off WAY too much grease and it would be extremely greasy and the skin would be flabby.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
Master Chef

I can appreciate your creative thinking Chief, but that would be a no-go for me and my family....
Old 11-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Sorry Chief, I don't think this would work. Lots of different flavors that may or may not compliment each other. Lots of greasy fat may be unappetizing - pepperoni grease is orange, turkey is white.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #10
Proud American

That is very different!

I made of the sausage stuffing that was not greasy because I drained it away. But the turkey never needs to be dry for you baste it very much and put a canopy of foil over it in the last hour of cooking. And you refuse the juices to it with a small pump. It is very nice this way.

~Cat

Tags
thanksgiving, turkey