"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 06-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by GotGarlic
Twice-baked potatoes are yummy and easy: Everyday Food . Recipes . Twice-Baked Potatoes | PBS

You can also fry up a few slices of bacon till it's crisp, drain it on paper towels, and chop it; then saute some finely chopped onion in the bacon grease, drain it, and add the bacon and onion to the potato mixture before filling the potato shells.

btw, in the summer, I rarely use my oven, so this could be done on the grill if you have a grill-proof pan, like cast-iron, or disposable aluminum.
twice baked potatoe recipe looks very doable, thanks.

tb62388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #12
Master Chef
If you are going to grill, then close the lid and grill it with a slightly cooler fire. If you are using gas, keep teh flame at medium to prevent overcooking the outside of the chicken breasts. If using a covered kettle, use a solid bed of coals. Get them very hot. Place the chicken on the grill and cover immediately. Close the top vent by half and cook for about 4 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and plate.

As for the spuds, you can also make a lovely dish by baking in the microwave and removing the skin. Then, put them through a ricer and serve with a pat of butter or sour cream on top. Sprinkle on some chives.

The flavors in your dish would do well with a bit of chili powder sprinkled on. A good tossed salad with some fresh edible flowers is always a treat. To go with your flavorful chicken, try some nasturtium leaves and flowers, or add some arugala to the salad greens.

A foolproof way to cook chicken is as follows. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy frying pan.

Pat dry the chicken and set aside. Make an egg-wash from 1 large egg mixed with 1/2 cup milk. Place 1 cup flour in a shaker bag (zip-lock or similar) with 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. ground pepper. Dip the chicken in the egg wash to completely coat. Place the breasts into the shaker bag, one at a time, and shake until covered. Remove from the bag and shake off the excess flour. Set aside until all pieces are coated.

Place the breasts into the oil, leaving space between them. Fry until the chicken is lightly browned. Turn over and lightly brown the second side. Remove and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Remove and serve with the sides. This method produces perfect chicken every time. It's so juicy and tender that it will squirt you when you bite into it, while being cooked through.

Another great side to your chicken might be a slaw made with jicama, cabbage, onion, and carrot, all shredded. Mix with a bit of olive oil and black pepper. You can also add diced onion to this slaw, or combine with 2 tbs. sugar dissolved in a half cup of ice water, to replace the oil and pepper. Add Miracle Whip salad dressing and the water. You can add raisins and broken walnuts to this slaw version.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
Sous Chef
You know what's good and so easy to do with potatoes? Get one of those huge unpeeled idaho baking potatoes, wash it and microwave for about 5 minutes. Slice the potato lengthwish into 3 or four thick slices, brush with olive oil and any seasoning that you are in the mood for. If you are not familar with seasoning yet you can start with with salt & pepper, or a seasoning blend like Cajun, greek, Italian, etc. Place on the grill for just a minute of two on each side. It's crispy, delicious and good for you too!
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
well, i made the dinner last night, so no need for any more help. thanks everyone for the ideas.

i ended up keeping it pretty simple.

toasted bread served with brie

what i cooked

twice baked potato with parsley.
asparagus sauteed in balsalmic vineger and melted parmasean.
the marinaded chicken
sauteed green yellow and red peppers.

it went really well. if i had to rate each one i would say...

only thing i really screwed up is by layering parmasean on the asparagus, they got too oily wiht olive oil in the pan...o well, you live and you learn.
tb62388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Sounds like a really nice dinner - congratulations
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
If you want to to make a really juicy chicken and if the weather is not that warm you should oven roast it slowly!
Man if your marinade is good and has sugar in it you can get a really nice carmalization yum yum! I would set oven at 325 cause you are going low and slow for about 1 1/2 hours and during last 1/2 hour to baste the chicken with the juices from the pan and if there is any marinade left over you should baste it with that wow that is making me hungry already good luck!

balsy is offline   Reply With Quote