Newbie Roasting Chicken..Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CremeBruleeFan

Assistant Cook
I tried to do this Rachel Ray recipe for Honey Mustard Chicken Wings. The recipe said to preheat a Large ovenproof skillet on high, and "once the skillet is Screaming Hot, add the 2 tbsp. oil and brown 3 mins per side." Then I poured the sauce over it and roasted it for 20 mins in the oven on 400F. I don't know if this matters but I have a Calphalon One Nonstick 5qt. skillet. This is my first time doing this and when I put the chicken in the skillet it splattered a lot and smoked up the entire house. I was hit a lot with splattering oil. How do I prevent this from happening next time? Do I need the two tbsp of oil if I have a nonstick skillet, and can I brown the chicken on medium heat instead of high heat? Will it still splatter oil no matter what or can it be avoided? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm really new at this. Thanks.

# 1, you need good ventilation, anybody does when browning meat properly.

#2, you'll get better results in a hard surface pan, cast iron is good for this, rather than teflon coated.

#3, dry the chicken with paper towels...water and oil cause spattering.

#4, do you need to use oil, use high heat. Well, you won't get good results. The chicken will cook but not brown and you'll loose that flavor. The oil does help the skin brown. Fat is necessary for the Maillard effect (browning of proteins ) to happen effectively.

Lastly, when using a stickable pan, let the food alone for several minutes...don't move it. THen shake it gently with tongs and it will release without sticking or tearing. Now turn the food over and let the other side cook the same way. Cast iron is good becaue it retains the heat and browns well.

Ditto what robo said - especially the part about drying off the chicken - very important. Then the second most important is leaving the chicken alone while it cooks. Once it is cooked on the one side it will release from the pan easily with a pair of tongs. If you find you have to really tug at it leave it alone to cook a bit longer.

Yes, if it's covered it won't brown. You are talking about the wings right? Either way, whole or wings, leave uncovered. :chef:

yea, I totally messed that up. I was going to leave it uncovered but when it started splattering, my husband covered it (his cooking skills extend to pancakes and hamburger helper) thanks for all the help.

Andy M. said:
You can buy a spatter shield for short money to keep any spatters confined to the pan.

In this instance the cooking is going on INSIDE the oven. Though it would still help if the handles weren't made of plastic.

kitchenelf said:
In this instance the cooking is going on INSIDE the oven. Though it would still help if the handles weren't made of plastic.

I was suggesting the spatter shield for the 6 minutes of browning on the stove top.

Plastic handles may not be a good idea in a 400F oven. Some are good up to 350 or 375.

Andy M. said:
You can buy a spatter shield for short money to keep any spatters confined to the pan.

I use a splatter screen for many things on the stovetop: bacon, hamburgers, sausages...etc. Sure keeps the stove clean and I don't get splattered and burned.

where do u get a splatter shield? i do alot of grilling on my gas range in a grill pan, and a splash sheild would be very nice!!

You should be able to find them in kitchen stores or the kitchen dept. of a discount store. It's metal screen material stretched across a metal ring with a handle.

Happy Wednesday

Roasting Chicken is one of my all time favorites. You definitely need a splatter cover to keep the food from getting all over your stove. The receipe sounds and I would love to hear how it comes out.

Jill and Jolie

Back
Top Bottom