"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Executive Chef

It occurs to me that I should have mentioned to use some oil spray or other shortening on the casserole dish, cookie sheet or aluminum foil before placing the chicken, to prevent sticking. I hope this advice didn't come too late.

I'm a bit embarrassed that a recipe that I had thought was mature and ready for publishing needed two clarifications. I sure hope this is the exception and not the rule for my recipes.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef

No worries G Greg! I used enough butter that the chicken did not stick. It turned out great even with the rolled oats. I will have it again with a whole chicken or with thighs. DH liked it, and he can be a bit fussy at times. Thanks again for a new recipe. Yum!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Chopper, I'm happy it worked out for you. I enjoyed this recipe the first time I tried it, because it tastes good and because it's so easy. I know not everybody is committed to cooking as I am, and even amongst we enthusiasts there are times when we don't want to stand around the kitchen cooking for a long time, and this is a good one to get it over quickly and let it cook while you watch TV or post on the forum.

Yeah it's better with skin on chicken, like a cut up fryer or a package of thighs or legs or something. I can't recall if I've cooked it using skinless/boneless chicken but it's good to know that it works out okay with that too.

Somebody should try this recipe on pork chops!

** topic note: Thank you to Fiona who revised my OP at my request to clear up the confusion regarding "quick cooking oats."
Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm thinking buttermilk instead of the milk, but I always am looking for things to do with buttermilk (which I love)! Sounds great...but I am still having an issue with eating chicken because I now have laying hens!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I hope if anybody tries buttermilk that they will tell us how it came out.

Also, there's a buttermilk powder that might be added instead. The powder is nice because it has a long shelf life in your pantry. I've added it to other concocted seasoning mixes similar to the recipe in the OP and it worked out well.

CWS too bad with your issue with the laying hens. If you had a rooster you could also raise chickens for cooking, although from the sound of it I doubt you'd be comfortable with slaughtering, cleaning and butchering them. It's occurred to me a few times to try raising chickens but the part from having a live chicken until it reaches the same condition you buy it at the store bothers me too and I'm not sure I'd be up for it.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg

Also, there's a buttermilk powder that might be added instead. The powder is nice because it has a long shelf life in your pantry. I've added it to other concocted seasoning mixes similar to the recipe in the OP and it worked out well.

CWS too bad with your issue with the laying hens. If you had a rooster you could also raise chickens for cooking, although from the sound of it I doubt you'd be comfortable with slaughtering, cleaning and butchering them. It's occurred to me a few times to try raising chickens but the part from having a live chicken until it reaches the same condition you buy it at the store bothers me too and I'm not sure I'd be up for it.
Oh my gosh...we had chickens once when I was growing up to butcher and eat. Cleaning and plucking chickens is not something I want to ever do again! I didn't eat chicken for two years after that experience. I love chicken now, but I don't ever want to go through that again. It is not that I think it is bad for others to do, I just don't like doing it myself. Blaack!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
Master Chef

This sounds both delicious and healthy. I wish I knew how to save, flag, or cut & paste. But hopefully I'll find it again.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post

I have a very handsome Barred Plymouth Rock rooster...I just can't bring myself to make any of the hens (or Cocky Rocky) into stewing birds. They are too cute!

I am on with trying buttermilk--I have frozen buttermilk, fresh buttermilk, and powdered buttermilk. I like the fresh for drinking, the frozen and powdered for cooking.

Tags
chicken, oatmeal, oven, recipe

Oatmeal Oven Fried Chicken This oven fried chicken recipe is easy and fast to prepare. The chili powder and cumin add a delightful spicy taste, and the oatmeal provides a nice crunch! 1 lb. whole chicken, cut up (or equivalent in thighs, breasts, etc.) 1 C. quick cooking oats 1 T. paprika 1 T. chili powder 1 t. garlic powder 1 t. salt 1/2 t. cumin 1/4 t. ground pepper 1/2 C. milk 1 egg, beaten 3 T. butter or margarine, melted Preheat oven to 350. Mix the oatmeal, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin and pepper and put the mix in a plastic bag. Mix the milk and egg in a dish. Dip the chicken pieces into the milk-egg mixture, then shake the chicken pieces one at a time in the bag. Discard any remaining mix and bag. Place chicken pieces in a single layer on a foil lined casserole dish or cookie sheet. A wire rack may be used and will be a significant improvement since it keeps the chicken out of the grease. Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the pieces. Do not cover or turn chicken during baking. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. [SIZE=1](This recipe was inspired by [I]Country Chicken Cookbook[/I] although I have completely rewritten the directions in my own words, and I'm pretty sure I changed the ingredient list somewhat too.)[/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews