"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Oatmeal Oven Fried Chicken

This oven fried chicken recipe is easy and fast to prepare. The chili powder and cumin add a delightful spicy taste, and the oatmeal provides a nice crunch!

1 lb. whole chicken, cut up (or equivalent in thighs, breasts, etc.)
1 C. quick cooking oats
1 T. paprika
1 T. chili powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. ground pepper
1/2 C. milk
1 egg, beaten
3 T. butter or margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the oatmeal, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin and pepper and put the mix in a plastic bag. Mix the milk and egg in a dish. Dip the chicken pieces into the milk-egg mixture, then shake the chicken pieces one at a time in the bag. Discard any remaining mix and bag.

Place chicken pieces in a single layer on a foil lined casserole dish or cookie sheet. A wire rack may be used and will be a significant improvement since it keeps the chicken out of the grease. Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the pieces. Do not cover or turn chicken during baking. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

(This recipe was inspired by Country Chicken Cookbook although I have completely rewritten the directions in my own words, and I'm pretty sure I changed the ingredient list somewhat too.)

Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, now we're talkin'. we love fried chicken, especially made at home, so i might just be able to convince dw to let me make it if i use oatmeal.

thanks greg!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Do you think it would work with "quick oats"? I don't buy the instant kind.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Use the kind you boil for 1-2 minutes. Don't use the traditional kind you cook for a long time. I don't even remember how long the traditional oatmeal takes to cook. My own oatmeal package says "quick cooks in 1 minute." Is that quick or instant?

If it says instant then it should be ready to eat as soon as it occurs to you that you want to eat oatmeal, right?

This recipe has been posted on my personal recipe website for ages but I hardly ever get visitor feedback. I'll appreciate any comments if there is a correct and unambiguous way to describe this ingredient, and if so then I can go back and revise my website so that new visitors won't be confused.

---

I like this recipe because it takes only about 5 minutes to prepare, and then you can just put it in your oven and forget it until it's almost done. Of course you'll want to check it a few minutes earlier since oven calibrations vary as do individual oven heating characteristics, particularly the surface you cook it on.

I really like using a wire grill for recipes like this because the grease drains off giving the chicken a better taste and makes it more healthful too. I use a wire rack that fits exactly in my cookie sheet, the kind of wire rack used for cooling cakes and other baked goods. It is often the case that recipes that suggest turning don't need it at all when cooked on a wire rack. However, as noted in the recipe above this version is not intended to be turned at all.

By the way, cover your cookie sheet or baking dish with aluminum foil and then when you're done you can just throw the foil and grease in the trash and put the sheet/dish back in storage. Of course if you use a rack it will take a few minutes to clean, but well worth it in my opinion, because it gives superior results for recipes like this.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Use the kind you boil for 1-2 minutes. Don't use the traditional kind you cook for a long time. I don't even remember how long the traditional oatmeal takes to cook. My own oatmeal package says "quick cooks in 1 minute." Is that quick or instant?

If it says instant then it should be ready to eat as soon as it occurs to you that you want to eat oatmeal, right?

By the way, cover your cookie sheet or baking dish with aluminum foil and then when you're done you can just throw the foil and grease in the trash and put the sheet/dish back in storage. Of course if you use a rack it will take a few minutes to clean, but well worth it in my opinion, because it gives superior results for recipes like this.
My oatmeal is Quaker Oats brand and it says "quick" on the package. It says to cook for 3-5 minutes. I think "instant" is a kind you just add boiling water and stir. It will probably work. I'll give it a try. It might not work with thicker cut or rolled oats though.

Teehee. I'm not likely to use foil that I have to throw away. I'll probably just put a rack in a glass lasagna pan. The racks come clean with no effort in the dishwasher.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Please let me know how it works out TL. The only reason I said not to use traditional is because it never occurred to me to try it. My own package directions say to bring one part of water to boil, add one part of oatmeal then cook for 1 minute stirring occasionally, then cover and serve in 2-3 minutes. So that's the kind of oatmeal I used.

When I give out recipes I only use recipes that I have personally cooked, to ensure that following my ingredients and steps will work all the time. When they're original recipes that I've developed myself I've often tested them a couple dozen times before sharing with others. There's too many recipes on the Internet and I see no point in adding my own recipes to the mix unless I think they're something special.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Master Chef

Sounds like a good recipe Greg, but I would change it to read "quick cooking oats" because the only "instant oatmeal" I've ever seen comes in a little envelope and contains sweetener. All it needs is boiling water poured over it in a bowl. It's truly nasty stuff by the way.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Ok...I just put some chicken in the oven. I only had rolled oats, so I processed them a little in the mini chopper before using. I think it will be fine (I will let you know). These spices smell great, and DH is excited to fund out what comes out of the oven. I am using boneless, skinless chicken tenders (would be better with skin-on thighs, but this is what I had). May need to serve with some sweet potato fries.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Thanks Kayelle, yeah the sweetened kind is nasty. I'll change it to "quick cooking oats." It's funny how it seemed obvious to me back when I wrote it, but I can understand now why it's ambiguous.

Chopper I think skinless might be fine (although skin on is of course better) because the butter will provide some of the fats to make the coating taste good.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks Greg. I used more butter and left the chicken right on the foil (no rack) to make up for the no skin. Smells great. Will be done soon!

Tags
chicken, oatmeal, oven, recipe

Oatmeal Oven Fried Chicken This oven fried chicken recipe is easy and fast to prepare. The chili powder and cumin add a delightful spicy taste, and the oatmeal provides a nice crunch! 1 lb. whole chicken, cut up (or equivalent in thighs, breasts, etc.) 1 C. quick cooking oats 1 T. paprika 1 T. chili powder 1 t. garlic powder 1 t. salt 1/2 t. cumin 1/4 t. ground pepper 1/2 C. milk 1 egg, beaten 3 T. butter or margarine, melted Preheat oven to 350. Mix the oatmeal, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin and pepper and put the mix in a plastic bag. Mix the milk and egg in a dish. Dip the chicken pieces into the milk-egg mixture, then shake the chicken pieces one at a time in the bag. Discard any remaining mix and bag. Place chicken pieces in a single layer on a foil lined casserole dish or cookie sheet. A wire rack may be used and will be a significant improvement since it keeps the chicken out of the grease. Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the pieces. Do not cover or turn chicken during baking. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. [SIZE=1](This recipe was inspired by [I]Country Chicken Cookbook[/I] although I have completely rewritten the directions in my own words, and I'm pretty sure I changed the ingredient list somewhat too.)[/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews