"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
Master Chef
I oven fry chicken using 2-3T or so of peanut oil. I'm not sure about the flavor of butter for fried chicken and you really only need a small amount of fat of any kind to oven fry.

Double dip the chix, coat in oil and place on cooling rack over a cookie sheet to allow both sides to get air circulation (though sometimes I omit that step and just bake on the cookie sheet).

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
Head Chef
A great idea for me to try. I have never made real fried chicken but love it. The oven version sounds perfect. It does come out crispy?

Glad to hear thigh meat was used. All of a sudden I love the dark meat and find no enjoyment in eating chicken breast.

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
Senior Cook
We make alot of oven fried chicken fingers. Soak them in buttermilk, thyme and hot sauce. Then dip them in panko crumbs and bake on a cookie sheet with some canola oil. The kids love them. I think it's easier than frying.
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
Head Chef
I will definitely try Roxy's recipe (with Bell's Seasoning), but in the meantime, I was sent a newsletter by America's Test Kitchen with this recipe that I tried tonight.

Excellent! I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and a probe thermometer. Forty minutes at a 400 degree oven was perfect to get the breasts to 157!

Very crunchy and delicious - a less greasy KFC!

Oven-Fried Chicken
Golden, crunchy, and on the table in under an hour
Serves four

For those who like breast meat, use a whole cut-up chicken instead of drumsticks and thighs. Be careful not to overcrush the Melba toast; crumbs that are too fine will leave the chicken wanting in crunchiness. If you own a spray bottle for oil, skip the step of tossing the Melba toast crumbs in oil. Instead, once the chicken is coated with crumbs, spray the pieces evenly with oil.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 box (about 5 ounces) plain Melba toast, placed in a heavy-duty freezer bag and pounded with a blunt, heavy object to a sand and pebble texture
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
4 chicken leg quarters, separated into drumsticks and thighs, skin removed, and patted dry with paper towels

1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Line sheet pan with foil and set large flat wire rack over sheet pan.

2. Drizzle vegetable oil over Melba toast crumbs in a shallow dish or pie plate; toss well to coat. Mix eggs, mustard, thyme, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and optional cayenne with a fork in a second shallow dish or pie plate.

3. Working one piece at a time, coat chicken on both sides with egg mixture. Set chicken in Melba crumbs, sprinkle crumbs over chicken, and press to coat. Turn chicken over and repeat on other side. Gently shake off excess and place on rack. Bake until chicken is deep nutty brown and juices run clear, about 40 minutes.

By qsis, shot with Canon PowerShot S230 at 2007-08-20
QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
that chicken looks fantastic. Will be giving that a try sometime this week..I've used panko, but the melba toast looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing..

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote