Oven is slow when cooking a turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbara14

Assistant Cook
I have a GE profile gas range with lower oven, model PGB918SEMSS. It was purchased last year. The problem I am having is that the oven is very slow when cooking a turkey. Last year, a 13.5 pound turkey at 350 degrees took 5 and a half hours to cook and the meat by the bone was still red. I made sure the turkey was completely thawed before cooking. I cooked turkeys in my old oven I had before this in the exact same way without problems. The turkey was cooked in one of the disposable tins that you buy in a grocery store. I have made 3 turkeys so far using this oven and continually have the same problem that the oven is very slow when cooking a turkey. I also raised the cooking temperature but the turkey then becomes dry and have used the probe that came with the oven and that takes just as long. I also calibrated the oven 10 points but that didn't make a big difference.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions that anyone may have.

How is the oven for cooking baking other foods? Do you have a thermometer that you could use to check that the temperature really gets to 350 in the oven when you set it to 350?

When I used to buy organic, free-range turkeys, they cooked a lot faster than "battery" farm turkeys. If your oven temperature is correct, it could be the grade of turkey you are cooking. Just a thought.

Other foods cook more or less within a reasonable amount of time. I have used an oven thermometer before and the oven always read (within a few degrees) the correct temperature that I set it to. Thank you for your ideas. It just seems that cooking a turkey is a problem with this oven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom