"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-17-2004, 09:02 AM   #1
Master Chef

Peking Duck

Anybody ever try to cook chicken using the peking duck style of preperation? If so, how did it turn out, and how did you cook it, on the barbecue, or in the oven?

I'ts been something Iv'e been itching to try.

Oh, one more thing; how do they get the chicken so tender in chop suey. Mine is tender, even very tender, but the pork, and chicken at our local chines restaurant goes beyond the ordinary, without becoming mushy. I have a standing invitation to go in on a Saturday morning and help in the kitchen in our local chinese restaurant. I'm just going to have to take them up on it, see if I can learn something new.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I would go in a flash. You will learn some great tips on .........ughhhh....never mind.

Old 09-17-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Head Chef

I actually did try to make Peking Duck once. Had a fan blowing in the kitchen and the bird hung (by rope, no less) over a closet rod placed over two open upper cabinet doors. The first drying cycle went great. The second went to Hades in a handbasket. I heard this horrendous crash and, before I could even near the kitchen, the cat came running out dragging the bird by the neck. The two of them enjoyed a rousing and oftimes hissing journey throughout the house. The cleanup afterwards has prevented any subsequent repeat attempts.

I encourage you to go ASAP to your restaurant! I have a friend who owns a successful one here and who has let me "play" in the kitchen once -- a tremendous delight. I've never in my life seen people, for any reason, move at such a lightening pace. They never measured, the elder cook yelled a lot in Chinese, and always produced the most delicious dishes. Very simplistic and heavy-duty cookware, knife work to envy. I learned alot...and learned I know so little.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Is Peking duck what the father was making in the opening shots of the movie "Eat Drink Man Woman"?

Audeo, I am busting a gut visualizing your Phase II scenario. Can you not try again, perhaps hanging el ducko in the bathroom (door can be closed to four-legged children) over the shower rod?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Re: Peking Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Anybody ever try to cook chicken using the peking duck style of preperation? If so, how did it turn out, and how did you cook it, on the barbecue, or in the oven?

I'ts been something Iv'e been itching to try.

Oh, one more thing; how do they get the chicken so tender in chop suey. Mine is tender, even very tender, but the pork, and chicken at our local chines restaurant goes beyond the ordinary, without becoming mushy. I have a standing invitation to go in on a Saturday morning and help in the kitchen in our local chinese restaurant. I'm just going to have to take them up on it, see if I can learn something new.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I would go in a heartbeat to learn ANYTHING!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
Head Chef

Naw, Mudbug. The experience left me with the redolent scent of duck permeating my home for several days...despite many hours of scrubbing and laundering, over $150 for drycleaning bedspreads and dust ruffles, and another $200 for carpet cleaning.

My pal Hailee makes the best in town anyway. I can support the economy, help my pal, and have a delicious dish properly prepared without even lifting a finger to make it!

Best of all: no clean-up.
:?

Tags
None