"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Perdue Oven Stuffer

Has anyone had one of the Perdue Oven Stuffers? They have thermometer in the chicken and when it popped up, I took it out of the oven. When I was deboning it the joints were still pink. This bothered me and tried to cook in gravey to continue cooking. However, I don't feel it is fair that they have it so that you depend on the thermometer and not right. Just thinking of the pink joint bothered me. I wrote and asked t hem to explain but no response yet. What would you have done?

Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I would have put it back in the oven if I felt it hadn't cooked long enough... or used a meat temp. to see if it was done.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I would have either put it back into the oven to cook longer or cut it up and pop it into the microwave for a few minutes.

Ignore the pop up timers. As you have discovered, the are not dependable. Writing to them may get you a coupon for a free chicken product but you probably "can't get no satisfaction"!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I've often roasted the Perdue Oven Stuffers, and my family has enjoyed the meal. When they go on sale for .69 a pound, it's a gift for a family on a budget. I think I saw a comparison in one of my "Cook's Illustrated" magazines where the Perdue Oven Stuffer was rated "bland" in comparison to a few of the other types of birds available e.g. Bell & Evans birds (said to be one of the best brands). Having heard that the Perdue birds were raised differently (not as naturally), I did my own "research", and can't honestly say I've found a huge difference. In fact, the most recent kosher birds I bought had so many darn feathers on them - I've never seen more, except on a farm. They were thoroughly unexceptional. I declared I'd never buy that particular brand again.
Sometimes, close to the bone the meat is more pink in colour - but as Andy M. and pdswife said, the little timers are not worth using and you should use your own judgement or an instant read meat thermometer. ;) Sandyj
Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
Sous Chef

My TV cooking hero, Jacques Pepin, always takes those plastic thermometers out of the raw chicken or turkey and throws them away. He said that they're always wrong and that we should all use our meat thermometers. So that's what I always have done. But I really like the Perdue Oven Stuffer roasters.

BC
Old 11-29-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

ditto bluecat. get an istant read meat thermometer...a good investment of a few $$.
What would I have done?? had dinner unless the juices really looked red...red joint is different from red juices. In fact when I use my weber to doa whole bird the joint is often red from the smoking process.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

Like others have said, use a meat thermometer.

But, that said, reddish bones and joints are not uncommon even in fully cooked birds. Especially if they have been frozen (which many are - and you might not know it). Freezing does something to the bone marrow, making it leach out more during cooking.

Trust a good meat thermometer.

Bell and Evans chickens are well worth it if the chicken itself is the star, like if you are roasting a chicken, as opposed to coating and frying, or serving in sauce, etc.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Learn Something

Thanks. This is always one souce of knowledge for me. You all could write a cookbook in my opinion. I did buy these on sale and will do as you all agree to ignore the thermometer. It really kind of bothered me to see that it still was pink. But maybe from the bird being frozen that this happened. I wrote the company before I did you and I got such quick responses from all of you and I know you are not trying to mislead me. I just wish I knew where to get the brand of chickens you all like. I will try to look it up. Never heard of them. They must be outstanding from the way you talk. Thank you all for your time. I surely will take the thermometer out before I do anything. I do know when I make soup from these chickens it does get gelatin. Other birds don't have it anymore. My mother always said if you get gelatin that is best part. her opinion
Old 11-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
Master Chef

You are welcome!

If the meat which is not adjacent to the bone is reddish or pink, then it's probably not done. Right on the bone can stay red or pink even if you incinerate the bird.

But I wholeheartedly agree that pink poultry is skeevy I can't hardly look at a rare duck breast.

Bell and Evans chicken costs a bit more but not a whole lot if you buy a whole chicken rather than breasts. Here's the Bell and Evans Website which gives locations where they sell them as well as more info.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
Executive Chef

jennyema

Thanks again. You have helped me more than enough. Appreciate it.

Tags
None