"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 08-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
A few eons ago, in one of my college towns, there was a tiny mom and pop place that specialized in gizzards on Tuesdays. Some friends never missed Tuesdays there, real gizzard freaks.

Not a fan of organ meats, though I did eat a chicken liver on a camping trip just to gross out my boyfriend at the time. It worked.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We still get giblets with our whole chickens. I've also seen tubs of chicken livers and giblets for sale (separately).
THird here. In fact, the chicken Craig grilled over the weekend had all of the above, even had an extra heart, and I ate that one, the dogs got the other heart and the livers.

We always get one of the chicken liver tubs to make dirty rice because I don't like using the gizzards so I double the livers.

medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hmmm. Now everyone's got me thinking. I used to dredge the livers in seasoned flour (salt and pepper) and brown lightly in butter. Once browned, I'd add some chicken stock, a little white wine and some tarragon. The flour on the livers caused the liquid to thicken up a bit. Served it either over rice or noodles. Yummy...at least to me.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
My MIL loved chicken livers. Any time I had her to dinner, she got chicken livers, I got beef or calf livers.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #15
Master Chef
I buy tubs of chicken livers and turn them into chicken pate' for the holidays. I'm the only one in my home that likes the giblets, though one of our friends loves the pate'.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #16
Master Chef
This thread inspired me to pick up a package of chicken gizzards and hearts at the store this morning. I've got them simmering in some chicken stock with Bell's poultry seasoning, red pepper flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, a bay leaf and a splash of apple cider vinegar. I'll let them simmer for a couple of hours and then drain and chop them. Some of the chopped gizzards will go into a sort of loose meat sandwich with a splash of hot sauce and maybe a slice of melted cheese, some will go into a tomato sauce and the broth will eventually become a pot of soup.

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote

meat, other