Poultry Question II...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
All the tv chefs seem to add salt and pepper to the body cavity before cooking. I don't eat the meat inside the bone, so I don't add these (I mean, how deep does the seasoning penetrate, anyway?). I add celery and other aromatics, but only for aroma, not flavor. Am I missing something here?

The seasonings blend with the juices and make both the meat and the juices, which can be used for pan gravy, more delicious.

marmalady, are you saying that you lift the bird to drain the cavity fluids into the bottom of the pan for the gravy? I usually do this too, but then add the salt and pepper while heating to make the gravy.

Chicken

Interesting. If roasting chicken or turkey (parts or whole) I will usually lift the skin and use seasonings under the skin. I make a paste with sage, salt, pepper, rosemary, paprika, etc (any spices will do) and EVOO and then schmear it under the skin. It seems to do a good job of penetrating and flavoring the meat. I also use whole stems of sage or rosemary under the skin for great flavor. It never really occurred to me to S and P the INSIDE, but I suppose that it would flavor the cooking juices. Then again, most people reseason the juices several times, so what would be the point?

Otter, Yep, that's what I do.

When you salt/pepper the cavity, you're just 'layering' flavor; just as you would salt/pepper a soup or stock, then taste and adjust your seasonings as need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom