"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Preparing Chicken Breast for Cold Eats

One of my major challenges is preparing chicken breast for cold eats. Especially with Salad, like ceasar or the like.

The major obstacle is the smell that chicken becomes after a day in the fridge. I hate it!

I've bought cold chicken salads that had no issues whatsoever but I haven't been able to replicate it at home. I've tried everything, like marinating in Lemon juice, vinegar, coriander... boiling with cardamom/cinnamon/bay, and it still has this awful smell!

Does anyone have a method or technique that they use? or even something you think might help?

Cheers.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I've never tried it specifically with chicken, but I have with wild game - soaking it in milk over night seems to do a fair job of removing funky aromas and flavors.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Awesome! Thank you... I'll definitely give it a try. Would that be after marinating? Or can I put my marinate with the milk?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I think I would soak in milk over night - wipe dry and then marinade for a couple of hours just before cooking. I wouldn't mix your marinade with the milk.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thank you very much. I'll try it and let you know.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Ok, I'm curious. I'd never noticed a smell coming off refrigerated chicken. I used some last night that had been in the fridge for a day or two, and didn't notice any particular smell. Usually I have a pretty good sniffer. So I'm wondering, how do you prepare the chicken that you're refrigerating? I have a theory.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Doesn't Baking soda work?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

When I buy fresh chicken breast, I marinate it and either grill it or stir fry it.

After one day, I freeze it unless I am certain I'm going to use it.

I was told that the kind of chicken we have in Australia is smelly, but I seem to be the only person complaining

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
Ok, I'm curious. I'd never noticed a smell coming off refrigerated chicken. I used some last night that had been in the fridge for a day or two, and didn't notice any particular smell. Usually I have a pretty good sniffer. So I'm wondering, how do you prepare the chicken that you're refrigerating? I have a theory.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmen View Post
When I buy fresh chicken breast, I marinate it and either grill it or stir fry it...
Have you ried cooking it plain, without any marination or spices? Perhaps the smell is not coming from the chicken.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
Master Chef

As someone who has been buying & cooking chicken for well-nigh 30+ years now; from sources ranging from small local free-range producers to commercial organic to regular commercial supermarket fare - I've never EVER had any chicken "smell", unless it was "off". Which leads to the question - where are you buying your poultry from? Perhaps it's time to change brands or markets.

Tags
None