"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
One way I have made them is chicken fried.
I was thinking about that last night. Season, dredge in flour and deep fry. Like fried chicken?

I have two Cornish hens to cook today and still have no idea how i will prepare them. I don't want to do the boring roasting. I want something different.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Cook

Marcella Hazan has a great recipe for pollo alla diavola which works beautifully on cornish hens. Basically it's broiled chicken marinated in pepper, oil and lemon. You butterfly the chicken open flat, rub liberally with crushed peppercorns and marinate in oil and lemon. She likes to charbroil it on the bbq but I have good results using a combination of oven and broiler indoors.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing View Post
Marcella Hazan has a great recipe for pollo alla diavola which works beautifully on cornish hens. Basically it's broiled chicken marinated in pepper, oil and lemon. You butterfly the chicken open flat, rub liberally with crushed peppercorns and marinate in oil and lemon. She likes to charbroil it on the bbq but I have good results using a combination of oven and broiler indoors.
Thanks Jing. I ended up roasting them after all. I was watching football all day and had quite a few beers. Then I remembered my wife gave me a bottle of Patron Silver for Christmas. So I had a few shots of that.

Once dinner time approached, I was just hungry and ready to be done with it.
I made a compound butter earlier in the day with garlic and cracked black pepper.
I massaged the hens in this butter, then seasoned them well. I just roasted them. They were very good.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #14
Head Chef

Love them deep fried.

S&P, toss in the fryer, and they are great.

Or can marinate, flour, prepare anyway you would deep fry chicken or anything else.

Learned the trick from a Chinese woman in an Asian store. She claimed that was the only way to cook quail. Like quail done other ways, but deep frying sure is a great way to do them.

Tags
None