"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 12-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm with Andy I set my chicken on a bed of my favorite veggies. Since I put in a beautiful herb garden this spring I get a choice of herb, chop it fine along with some crushed garlic then mix this into a soft cube of butter, lift the skin and put in the butter and then rub over the outside of the skin and spread the butter around. It makes the meat nice and moist and so tasty. Enjoy your chicken and let us know how you fixed it.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Master Chef
There's a million and one ways to roast a chicken.

I am a huge fan of the Zuni Chicken and bread salad recipe. Someday follow it to the letter -- you won't be sorry.

Zuni Roast Chicken with Bread Salad - TODAY Food and wine

I'm also a big fan of Barbara Kafka's high heat roasting technique which has you roast the bird at 450-500 degrees.

Kafka’s Herb-Roasted Chicken

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Head Chef
Roasting a chicken is one of the simplest and tasty meals you can make. It cans be as simple or as complex as you wish. Just sprinkle some salt and pepper + your favorite spices and throw it in the oven. Then don't forget to save the carcass for chicken soup or chicken and dumplings! I usually do dumplings first and then the broth left over gets used for soup anyway.
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
I love roast chicken. I have small rotisserie I use(wedding present). I use honey and lowrey's season salt and that is all I need.
danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have never salted a chicken and let it sit for any length of time. This is my TNT Roast Chicken, that always gets raves:

Perfect Roast Chicken
A properly roasted chicken is so easy to prepare, and always SO delicious ­ brown, crispy skin and juicy, succulent meat. And it makes the house smell SO good!
makes 4 to 6 servings, depending upon what you serve with it
1 free-range roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
2 whole heads plump fresh garlic, unpeeled, cut in half horizontally
several sprigs of fresh rosemary
several sprigs of fresh thyme
several sprigs of fresh marjoram
several sprigs of fresh lavender greens (if you can find a plant)
1 cup cold water or white wine (to baste the chicken)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Start by rinsing the chicken inside and out with cold running water. Drain it well and dry inside and out with paper towels. Make a mixture of about
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper and 1 tablespoon of coarse sea salt in a small bowl. Place the bowl alongside a shallow 9 x 14-inch roasting pan. Put the olive oil in the pan and distribute evenly. You will also need a 3-foot length of kitchen string.

2. Put the chicken into the pan and turn to coat well with the olive oil.
Season it generously, inside and out with salt and pepper. Put about half of the herbs inside the cavity. Truss with string.
3. Place the chicken on its side in the pan. Put the halved garlic heads (cut side up) and the remainder of the herbs into the pan alongside the chicken. Place the pan on a rack in the center of the oven and roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Baste the chicken with the water and roast for another 25 minutes. Baste again ­ this time with the juices in the panó turn the chicken to the other side, and repeat the process. This will take a total of 90 minutes roasting time. By this time the skin should be a deep golden color. Test to see if the juices run clear when you pierce a thigh with the point of a knife.

4. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the chicken to a platter on which you have placed an overturned salad plate. Place the chicken at an angle against the edge of the plate with its tail in the air. (This retains moisture because the juices flow down through the breast meat.) Cover the chicken loosely with foil. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes. The chicken will continue to cook as it rests. Reserve the roasted garlic to serve with the chicken.

5. To prepare a sauce, remove the herbs from the pan and skim as much fat as possible from the pan juices. Place the roasting pan over medium heat and scrape up any brown bits that cling to the bottom. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping and stirring until the liquid is almost caramelized. Do not let it burn. Spoon off and discard any excess fat. Add several tablespoons cold water to deglaze (hot water would cloud the sauce), and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.

6. While the sauce is cooking, carve the chicken and arrange it on a warmed serving platter along with the garlic.

7. Strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve and pour into a sauceboat.
Serve immediately with the chicken and the halved heads of garlic.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #16
Thank you all so much for the suggestions!! I saw one of those beer-can roasters online, I might have to get one of those. I'm making it tonight, and my plan is to roast some garlic and cut up some herbs (marjoram, rosemary, and thyme, thanks ChefJune :) ) and mix that with some butter to rub under the skin, salt and pepper on top, over some carrots, onion, and potatoes and then cook at 400 til its 160. :)

I'll be serving with a spinach salad w/ homemade raspberry vinaigrette... can't think of what will be dessert, maybe nothing tonight.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I'm excited for my chicken! :)
coookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by coookies View Post
Thank you all so much for the suggestions!! I saw one of those beer-can roasters online, I might have to get one of those...

It's called beer can chicken because the recipe calls for a beer (or soda) can. No need to spend $$ for a fancy rack.

Half fill an empty can with some liquid - beer, wine, broth, etc. Add some herbs or spices to the can. Put the can in the center of a pan and put the can into the chicken's opening, legs down. The can and the two legs will act as a tripod to keep the bird upright. It will be flavored by the seasoned liquid in the can.

You can roast it in the oven of on a grill.

The big plus other than not spending money for a rack is that you don't have to spend any time cleaning a rack. Just toss the can.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote