Questions about "The Bird"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can brine it and then drain the brine after 6 hours. Brine it a few days ahead then just store it dry in the fridge.

I saw a wonderful tip the other day from Alton Brown on quickly thawing a turkey (about 4 hrs) by placing it in a bucket and allowing cold water from a tub or sink to SLOWLY trickle onto the bird....I forgot the term he used but the slow trickle creates some sort of reaction causing it to thaw faster.

Are you saying to trickle water from the faucet for 4 hours? Is he kidding? That's a lot of wasted water.
Did I read that right?

I stuff my bird, but always have some extra stuffing. I don't like the stuffing outside of the bird nearly as well, so I plop a few chicken wings on top of the stuffing in the casserole dish and let them bake along till done. Has a similar effect as having cooked the stuffing in the bird.

Lee

I am seeing quate a variance in cooking times for turkeys.

I have an almost 15# bird. I paln on cooking the giblets separately and pureeing them to put in the stuffing and sook the stuffing out of the bird. I am planning on bringing the bird like this:

Apple Spice Brine
A brine is typically water and salt with a little sweet to give it flavor. This brine uses fruit juices for water providing flavor and sweet at the same time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
·1 gallon cold water
·2 quarts apple juice
·2 quarts orange juice
·2 cup salt (3 cups Kosher or coarse salt)
·1/2 cup brown sugar
·10 whole cloves
·1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
Preparation:
Pour apple and orange juice into a large pot over a medium heat. Add salt, brown sugar, cloves and nutmeg. Simmer for 15 minutes until salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add cold water.
Place poultry in a large plastic container. Pour brine over top. Brine poultry for 1 hour per pound in the refrigerator

I am curious how long to cook and at what temp the folks here would suggest. I have seen as low as 13 min per pouind and as long as 5 1/2 hours. I have seen differences of only half an hour for stuffed vs not stuffed. Oh yeah! I have seen suggestions to put the thermometer in the breast and theigh. The thermometer will tell the final story, but, I am loking for some guidelines as to how long to expect.

Thank You in advance - AC

There was a question the other day about brining "premium" birds, and one participant said that the "premium" ones such as Butterball have been pre-brined. I have a recipe from Butterball for brining their birds, if anyone would like it. I'm not trying to start anything, just providing information I have discovered.

The brine I use is simple - Kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic and thyme. Overnight does the job for me and it always turns out good. One can also add apple juice for an additional flavor level if desired.

Dave the baker said:
There was a question the other day about brining "premium" birds, and one participant said that the "premium" ones such as Butterball have been pre-brined. I have a recipe from Butterball for brining their birds, if anyone would like it. I'm not trying to start anything, just providing information I have discovered.

Please share your discovery!!!

The brine I use is simple - Kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic and thyme. Overnight does the job for me and it always turns out good. One can also add apple juice for an additional flavor level if desired.

I wouldn't call Butterball a "premium" turkey. :huh:

Frozen Butterballs have been injected with sodium.

Fresh ones have not.

Read the label carefully. The label is pretty clear which ones have been juiced up already.

dave the baker said:
I have a recipe from Butterball for brining their birds,

If it's from their web site it's a recipe for their FRESH turkeys --- not the frozen, pre-basted/injected products --- Butterball does not recommend "brining" those.

Like Miss Jenny said...read the label -- on ALL brands I might add!

Enjoy!

I stuff my bird, but always have some extra stuffing. I don't like the stuffing outside of the bird nearly as well, so I plop a few chicken wings on top of the stuffing in the casserole dish and let them bake along till done. Has a similar effect as having cooked the stuffing in the bird.

Lee
This is a good idea!

I know I'll have extra stuffing and I really like the idea of making stuffing balls too--so they get crispy on the outside, moist inside.

I stand corrected. The brining recipe does indeed say fresh. I reiterate, I have never had unfavorable results using frozen fowl. Perhaps the ones I have done were not injected?????????? What would constitute a "premium" turkey, Jennyema? Sorry about the delay in answering; I've been extremely busy today both in the workshop and the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom