"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 49
Quick Defrost Chicken Breasts

I have a couple of raw chicken breasts in the freezer that I'd like to cook for dinner tonight. For whatever reason, I'm terrible at defrosting meat in the microwave, so I was wondering if I could put it in a small casserole with some chicken broth, cover it, and stick it in the oven. (I'd also welcome other suggestions, along with some simple things to do to it in a not-well-stocked kitchen. We're about to move, so I've been using up our food.)

Also, I was wondering if you could bread and pan fry already-cooked chicken (say, the chicken I prepared using the above method).

Thanks!
~K

__________________

__________________
k_young221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,535
Put the chicken in a zip top bag and squeeze all the air out then seal it. Put the chicken in a bowl of cold (yes cold) water. I actually put ice cubes in the water even. Change the water every 30 minutes. Make sure the chicken is submerged. Weight it down with something if you need to. The chicken will not take long to defrost at all this way and it will stay safe to eat.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 49
Unfortunately, my husband has informed me that he wants dinner in about half an hour. (Usually, we eat late.) =\

(Although I'm jotting down your suggestion for next time I have to defrost something; sure beats the microwave.)

~K
__________________
k_young221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,535
Nothing will get it defrosted in time for that except the microwave and as you have found, the microwave ends up cooking, not defrosting unless you are very careful.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
Adillo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Haledon, New Jersey
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Put the chicken in a zip top bag and squeeze all the air out then seal it. Put the chicken in a bowl of cold (yes cold) water.
GB - I do something similar. I do use hot water - Chicken defrosts in about half an oour. Just curious why the cold water.

I get big packs of breasts and thighs. One breast and tow thighs for a meal (Just 2 of us) Freeze them n a zip lock and dump the bag in a plastic bowl of hot water. Defrost - season and bake. Freezer to oven is about 40 min. Actually, I am trying to get organozed enough to season and lay out before I freeze. Then I could unbag frozen, put in the oven, frozen. Set delay start and have it hot and done when I get home.
__________________
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
GB - I do something similar. I do use hot water - Chicken defrosts in about half an oour. Just curious why the cold water.

I get big packs of breasts and thighs. One breast and tow thighs for a meal (Just 2 of us) Freeze them n a zip lock and dump the bag in a plastic bowl of hot water. Defrost - season and bake. Freezer to oven is about 40 min. Actually, I am trying to get organozed enough to season and lay out before I freeze. Then I could unbag frozen, put in the oven, frozen. Set delay start and have it hot and done when I get home.
You should never defrost any frozen food in hot water. This puts the food in the danger zone and any bacteria that was present before freezing can begin to multiply. There are only 3 ways to safely thaw foods:

1. In the refrigerator
2. In cold water
3. In the microwave

You have been lucky that you haven't gotten sick or made someone else sick. And, in fact, you may have gotten sick and not even realized it i.e., you may have gotten what you considered a little 24-hour virus, or another virus that sent you to the bathroom and not even thought of food poisoning.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
Adillo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Haledon, New Jersey
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
OK - Good point.
__________________
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 131
I am totally w/ GB-guess I've 'fallen' into your pitand please take kitchenelf's advice
__________________
Chef Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
You should never defrost any frozen food in hot water. This puts the food in the danger zone and any bacteria that was present before freezing can begin to multiply. There are only 3 ways to safely thaw foods:

1. In the refrigerator
2. In cold water
3. In the microwave

You have been lucky that you haven't gotten sick or made someone else sick. And, in fact, you may have gotten sick and not even realized it i.e., you may have gotten what you considered a little 24-hour virus, or another virus that sent you to the bathroom and not even thought of food poisoning.
Very well said!
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
KitchenScrapbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 114
I just tried something a couple evenings ago. I had something baking in the oven anyway, so I put frozen chicken breasts in a pan, covered it, and put it in the oven to thaw. Then I got them out after about 15 minutes and they were thawed! Then I fried them. I usually use the microwave though. Never tried the cold water.
__________________

__________________
---Kay
www.KitchenScrapbook.com
KitchenScrapbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Cooking News & Tips Straight to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Cooking info to your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]