"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Some grocers are dishonest and will repackage and redate meats. Maybe their fridge bin temps are not low enough.I dont know.You really need to get some one who knows to smell for you.But if it smells off even when you rinse take it back to store and get your money back. Bottom line it should not smell weird same thing with seafood if it smells fishy its old.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #12
Senior Cook

OK, well I went and got some more. I'm cooking it TODAY and it doesn't smell so I'm very sure about its freshness. I did try washing off the other ones and it still smells.

But I agree with you, Robo, that what might be bad by popular Western standards are really OK to eat. You don't know how many times I go off on my grandparents about that stuff but they're always fine. I'm getting all this chicken from HEB so I assume it good chicken.

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
Sous Chef

When you thaw chicken, or any uncooked meat, seafood, or poultry do it in the refrigerator and place the package in a container to catch any moisture that drips off the package and thereby reduce the chance of cross-contamination.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Keep your receipt. A reputable grocery store should refund your money if you call and return suspect poultry in a timely manner.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Not the full story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
yup, ... rinse it, pat it dry, cook it, it should be fine. If it smells bad while cooking or tastes funny (acrid, or rancid) after being cooked, toss it.

You froze it immediately and only just opened it. No contamination since leaving hte processor. Cooking kills the bacteria. People get sick from most food spoilage from undercooked or uncooked food.

Much of the world eats meat that we Americans would consider "unsafe". They stew it and flavor it with herbs and spices and all the nasty noogies are cooked off. really.
I registered just to respond to you (using a nick I figured you'd like since you won't likely agreed with me)

You're not getting the full story. Harmful bacteria aren't only agents of infection but also literally of poisoning. As they multiply in meat they release toxins which aren't fully broken down using many common North American methods. In the countries you refer to, they aren't just cooking till the bacteria are dead but also till any toxins are broken down.

Translation: they cook the holy hell out of the meat. Most westerners would rarely cook that intensely. So if you want to eat like the third world, cook like them. Spice like them. Build an immune system like theirs and even still face the plethora of risks
Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for stopping by. You had to go back 6 years to find what you saw as an error - not bad.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks for stopping by. You had to go back 6 years to find what you saw as an error - not bad.
Maybe they just happened to Google "Quick question: Should chicken smell like this?" and this thread came up.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
I registered just to respond to you (using a nick I figured you'd like since you won't likely agreed with me)

You're not getting the full story. Harmful bacteria aren't only agents of infection but also literally of poisoning. As they multiply in meat they release toxins which aren't fully broken down using many common North American methods. In the countries you refer to, they aren't just cooking till the bacteria are dead but also till any toxins are broken down.

Translation: they cook the holy hell out of the meat. Most westerners would rarely cook that intensely. So if you want to eat like the third world, cook like them. Spice like them. Build an immune system like theirs and even still face the plethora of risks
I love this answer.

Note, we have worked really hard at not having immune systems like theirs
Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I don't know what "funky" means to you, but I would toss them to be sure.

I have played at a lot of outdoor concerts in my day that have smelled "funky". Is that what you mean?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I have played at a lot of outdoor concerts in my day that have smelled "funky". Is that what you mean?

Tags
chicken