Quick Question: Should Chicken Smell Like This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had food poisoning four times in my life, ended up in the infirmary for a week during college. My motto: When in doubt, throw it out!

I had it once. While in the Navy and in port at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. We had ham for dinner, they used the same ham for mid-rats (midnight snack for watch standers) and then again for breakfast. It never got cold enough when they put it in the overcrowded fridge and they only barely warmed it when put in the breakfast omelets. That’s one experience I’ll never forget and one I’ll never want to repeat.

Referring to raw chicken legs, should it smell kinda funky? I know that raw pork smells but should chicken? I just bought this chicken Monday and froze it immediately. Thanks.

In our south texas climate, food spoils amazingly fast. Chicken parts while convenient, sometimes have been around quite a while. When in doubt, throw it out. If however, you think there is some hope, then bring a pot of water to a boil and toss in the chicken. Just let it sit in the pot of hot water [burner off] and after a while [you judge]pull it out. I generally go for the expensive free range chickens. The difference is noticeable.

Agh--I thought there was a new app with a scrath-and-sniff option.

But no, chicken should not smell funky. Sometimes rinsing well in salt water removes odor re: poultry (kinda like when you rinse the inside of a turkey you are roasting).

Haven't you seen "Swamp People"? Dem dar alagater luvs dem funky chickins!:rolleyes:

Craig

Some chicken has an odor to it and others don't. The sell by date still had two days to go on these thighs I bought and they had a smell to it.

My mother used to work in a meat market and told me to stick it in a bowl of water and vinegar and then rinse it off. If it still smelled funny, she told me to toss it.

I did that and my chicken thighs were fine. No one got sick. But if you are not comfortable cooking it or serving it, then toss it. Better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't eat it if it smelled funny! I lived in Barcelona for a year and got food poisoning many times from bad chicken until I started poking a small hole in the packets at the supermarket to sniff it first...lol! If you find a packet with a hole in your meat section, it was probably me :p

Sorry to drag up an old post but I just bought some fresh chicken breasts from my local farm butcher for the first time and it has a very funky smell - I rung the farm shop who informed me that the smell is completely normal and common in fresh farm chicken as it hasn't gone through a de odour process like supermarkets use? My knowledge on this is pretty limited and I'm not one to generally chance it - hoping some one here might be informed on such a matter (that is informed on fresh farm chicken)

I am from Romania, and sometimes the meat there is not quite fresh, but many people there cook it to very high heat and it does not harm them.

Meat should smell as in nothing when the package is open first.

With love,
~Cat

Sorry to drag up an old post but I just bought some fresh chicken breasts from my local farm butcher for the first time and it has a very funky smell - I rung the farm shop who informed me that the smell is completely normal and common in fresh farm chicken as it hasn't gone through a de odour process like supermarkets use? My knowledge on this is pretty limited and I'm not one to generally chance it - hoping some one here might be informed on such a matter (that is informed on fresh farm chicken)

I'm sure it's fine. I don't know what the de-odor process is that you mention, but I buy much of my chicken direct from farms and it does have a somewhat different smell to it. This might sound a little gross, but to me it has more of a "fresh blood" kind of smell that I don't get from factory chicken. Farm chickens also tend to be a little more mature than most store birds, so they are just a tad bit more gamey.

Gamey and fresh is a completely different smell than rotten, and I think most people just need to learn to recognize it. Probably a lost art in this modern day and age of refrigeration where nothing is expected to have any odor to it.

Last edited:
Well, it felt slimy like you would expect raw meat to. It looks perfectly fine, the flesh is pink and not cloudy.

It actually had a little of this smell when I first bought it. The 'sell by' date wasn't for a few days and they all had it so I thought it was fine. Can chicken go bad as quickly as the trip home? I stuck it in the freezer as soon as I got home.

It would be frustrating if it is bad because I threw out some chicken before for the same reason. Maybe it is just me because my roommate said he couldn't smell anything. Would it help if I told you it kind of smells like rubber? Thanks.
I wouldn't expect any raw meat to be slimy.

If the chicken is slimy and smells bad it is bad. Throw it away.

Back
Top Bottom