"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Quick Question: Should Chicken Smell Like This?

Referring to raw chicken legs, should it smell kinda funky? I know that raw pork smells but should chicken? I just bought this chicken Monday and froze it immediately. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Head Chef

Raw meat shouldn't have any funky smell to it, if it's fresh.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Everymom

I don't know what "funky" means to you, but I would toss them to be sure.

Have you done a lot of cooking or is food prep pretty new to you? Some people don't like the smell of raw food and might call it funky.

Did it feel slimy or sticky to the touch?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Well, it felt slimy like you would expect raw meat to. It looks perfectly fine, the flesh is pink and not cloudy.

It actually had a little of this smell when I first bought it. The 'sell by' date wasn't for a few days and they all had it so I thought it was fine. Can chicken go bad as quickly as the trip home? I stuck it in the freezer as soon as I got home.

It would be frustrating if it is bad because I threw out some chicken before for the same reason. Maybe it is just me because my roommate said he couldn't smell anything. Would it help if I told you it kind of smells like rubber? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
If it smells toss it. Better safe than sorry.

Welcome to the group!!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Head Chef

It could be "just you". I know sometimes I get a foul smell in my nose that I just can't get rid of. However...when in doubt..throw it out! You wouldn't be able to eat it anyway...wondering the way you are! Also...it may not have gone bad "on the trip home"....it may have been bad when they sold it to you!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Everymom

Try rinsing the chicken under cold water first. Then ask someone else to smell it. It could just be that you are a more sensitive nose than others.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
If it smells toss it. Better safe than sorry.

Welcome to the group!!
Thank you

Alright, I'm going to go out and buy another package, and if they all smell, then I'm going to ask the grocery people about it.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #9
Executive Chef

yup, ... rinse it, pat it dry, cook it, it should be fine. If it smells bad while cooking or tastes funny (acrid, or rancid) after being cooked, toss it.

You froze it immediately and only just opened it. No contamination since leaving hte processor. Cooking kills the bacteria. People get sick from most food spoilage from undercooked or uncooked food.

Much of the world eats meat that we Americans would consider "unsafe". They stew it and flavor it with herbs and spices and all the nasty noogies are cooked off. really.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I find that raw chicken does have a smell to it. It is not a smell I like. From cooking for a while though I have learned which smells are good and which are bad.

You are doing the right thing by getting another package and then asking the store if it still does not smell right. Always play it safe with chicken and be on the safe side.

Tags
chicken