Raw chicken I got stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick, next time you get chicken that you believe should be okay but you just have doubts about - and I am not talking about having a smell of rotting corpses - look at the condition of the skin and the flesh first of all. Chicken that is going will be sticky to the touch of the skin and will look a bit dull. The meat can get a green tinge and the skin will have a yellow hue to it.

However, the chicken can smell when it is wrapped in plastic, especially if it is sitting in any blood. First of all, rinse the chicken thoroughly. If you still have any doubts about the chicken, chuck it. If there is a smell after it is rinsed, chuck it. If it all looks good and fine and you want to take the chance (baring in mind I said that you believe it should be good), don't cook it for other people to start with (!), but cook it for yourself, if it starts to smell - cease the cooking process and chuck it. If you think it is fine then, and you still want to have a try at eating it, do NOT serve it with any sauce or strong flavourings that may mask the condition of the chicken. And even then, if you have even the inkling of a doubt, chuck it out!!! Nine out of ten times (at least) you will still end up chucking it. Poultry food poisoning is nasty as has been said.

I'm dying to know how that chicken turned out...have opened MANY a foul-smelling chicken package (I always return it to the store though). I've always been too scared to serve it...

oops...sorry...didn't read far enough. glad you tossed that chicken! :)

Then there was the day I went to work, waiting tables.
The restaurant made their own salad dressings in 5 gallon buckets, capped
them and kept them in the walk in fridge.

Opened a mayo based Bleu Cheese, took a whiff and dumped it all. No question
in my mind the mayo was bad bad bad!
Opened the other bucket, whiff.... dumped it too.

Went and informed Chef the dressings were bad and he freaked!
They had been made THAT DAY, and everyone but me was adamant that
they were NOT BAD.

Next day I was sick with a rotten head cold. Turns out that was why it smelled bad
to me.

So, although I am not saying eat the stinky chicken so there is no reason to reiterate
the safety rule.... sometimes your smeller might be on the fritz!!!

Back
Top Bottom