Really dumb question about chicken breast "halves"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choc

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I have a question about chicken breasts versus chicken breast "halves". I have a recipe (http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/SlowCookerChickenandDumpli.asp) that calls for 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves. At the grocery store, I can find packages of "skinless, boneless chicken breasts". Is each piece inside this package a "chicken breast" or a "chicken breast half"?

I ask this because when I made this recipe, it seemed as though there were far more dumplings than chicken. (I used the assumption that a "chicken breast half" was half of one of these pieces of chicken in my package of "chicken breasts". It felt like more chicken was needed.

Thanks!

Did the package say split breasts? Usually chicken breasts packages are breast halves. A whole breast would like like this only smaller ( this is a turkey breast)
20047141539654371132278.jpg

Hmm, I don't believe it says "split breasts" (at least nowhere immediately visible), but from your picture it looks as though that's what they were. The package reads:

Young Chicken Boneless Skinless Breasts with Rib Meat

Maybe the fact that they're "Young Chicken" explains why they're smaller than I'd expect?

In any case, I put three of the pieces in my crock pot this time instead of two. I hope it works out. Thanks for your help!

It's not really going to make a difference if you're cooking in a crock pot anyhow. Though bone-in breasts ought to have more flavor!

What you buy in the supermarket is usually a chicken breast half (at least at my supermarkets). A full chicken breast is enough meat for two people.

Think of it this way:

Looking at a whole chicken, there is a chicken breast half on each side of the keel bone.

My supermarket packages them in mixed form. I bought a package yesterday that contained five breast halves in three pieces.

Back
Top Bottom