"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Reheating pre-cooked chicken roulade?

Hi all, I am having some people over Saturday night for a Hanukkah dinner and am planning on making (among other stuff) chicken roulade (feta and oregano). I can cook the other stuff ahead of time and it'll be fine, but the chicken is pretty much an attention whore and I'd like to cook it in advance if possible. My question is, how far in the recipe should I go (i.e. do everything except cut the chicken into to avoid juice loss?) & if I do reheat the chicken will it dry it out or affect the feta at all?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I think you can taste the difference in reheated chicken. I'd want to avoid the for a special dinner for guests. I recommend you look for efficiencies elsewhere.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Even if the chicken is reheated in the oven or on the stovetop?

I might try it tonight, I'm planning on doing a test run of the roulades tonight anyway (since I've never cooked them before) so I'll just chill a piece and reheat it a couple hours later.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'm guessing you aren't keeping kosher? And how are you cooking it that it takes a lot of attention? You can fill, shape, tie or skewer the day before, cover and refrigerate. Then before dinner it's just searing and sticking in the oven to bake for a bit. Once the filling/shaping/tying are done, I've never found it to be a big deal when I've made chicken or beef roulades.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
Master Chef

I'm with Andy, I wouldn't reheat this dish for a special party. You could prepare the roulades in advance earlier in the day though, and store them in the fridge. Just take them out a half hour or so before you plan on cooking them, while your oven is heating up. It doesn't take very long to cook roulades, especially if you brown them on the stove top first. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Like the rest, I wouldn't try reheating. Like another poster, that dish doesn't sound kosher.
Good luck with your party.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSoups View Post
Even if the chicken is reheated in the oven or on the stovetop?

I might try it tonight, I'm planning on doing a test run of the roulades tonight anyway (since I've never cooked them before) so I'll just chill a piece and reheat it a couple hours later.
Yes. It won't have that freshly cooked, roasty juicy flavor.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks everybody for your help!

@medtran & cinisajoy - no I'm not. I kept kosher for a number of years but wasn't raised kosher so being kosher would actually be out of the norm...although I am playing with the idea of spinach and asparagus instead of feta and oregano...

Either way, preparing them in advance and refridgerating is a good idea - I can cook them just before while people get settled at the table and get drinks.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSoups View Post
Thanks everybody for your help!

@medtran & cinisajoy - no I'm not. I kept kosher for a number of years but wasn't raised kosher so being kosher would actually be out of the norm...although I am playing with the idea of spinach and asparagus instead of feta and oregano...

Either way, preparing them in advance and refridgerating is a good idea - I can cook them just before while people get settled at the table and get drinks.
I guess the question would be do some of your guests keep kosher?
For this occasion, I would recommend kosher so everyone can eat everything.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

No - its me, my girlfriend, my mother and my girlfriends family. My mom has never kept kosher and my girlfriend and her family aren't Jewish. I may make it a meat dish yet (asparagus and spinach instead of oregano and feta..especially since I dont like feta)

Tags
chicken, chicken breast, cook, eating, feta, other