"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Roasted chicken

I love roasted whole chicken!

I but a special type here in norway that have a very good taste. They are between 3,5-4,5lbs each.

I normally roast it for about 30 minutes per kg (I think that will be about 25min per lbs). To check when its done I dry to twist the drumstick and if it twist easy its done. I have also tries putting a knife in the thigh but then all the juice runs out..

Yesterday I bought a thermometer but I wonder where should I put it? In the breast or the thigh? In the "drumstick" on the leg?

Sometimes the chicken breast gets very dry. So I guess its overcooked but when the breast is "ready" then the thigh is not twisting (and the liquid is pink). Anyone have a tip?

When I but small chicken 2-3,5 pound I don't have the problem with dry breast, its only when its above 3,5 lbs..

Would it help to brine it?

kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Yes, brining would absolutely help. I am a huge fan of brining.

What kind of thermometer did you get? Is it a probe that you put in and leave in while the bird cooks or is it one that you take the temp when you check the bird? For the later, you would want to take readings in multiple spots.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Itd a weber so it can be in the oven.

how to you brine?
is it possible to brine without sugar? I can't have sugar.
kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Yes you can brine without sugar. I actually prefer it that way myself.

I do it to taste. I mix up a batch of saltwater that tastes "pleasantly salty" meaning when I taste it I do not have to spit it out right away. Submerge the bird in the water completely and put in the fridge. Let it brine for about 4-5 hours or so for a whole chicken. For just breasts I go 2 hours. Then take it out of the brine and rinse off if you like and then dry and use however you like.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamp View Post
I love roasted whole chicken!

I but a special type here in norway that have a very good taste. They are between 3,5-4,5lbs each.

I normally roast it for about 30 minutes per kg (I think that will be about 25min per lbs). To check when its done I dry to twist the drumstick and if it twist easy its done. I have also tries putting a knife in the thigh but then all the juice runs out..

Yesterday I bought a thermometer but I wonder where should I put it? In the breast or the thigh? In the "drumstick" on the leg?

Sometimes the chicken breast gets very dry. So I guess its overcooked but when the breast is "ready" then the thigh is not twisting (and the liquid is pink). Anyone have a tip?

When I but small chicken 2-3,5 pound I don't have the problem with dry breast, its only when its above 3,5 lbs..

Would it help to brine it?
Where to put the thermometer? In the same place you were putting the knife. You need the thickest part of the meat, and that is the junction between thigh and drumstick.

I find it really easy to keep the breast moist without brining (don't want the extra salt) by roasting for the first half of the time on the bird's stomach (tail in the air). I also often put a lemon, poked 20 times, inside the chicken. That adds both moisture and flavor.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I've never had a perfect whole roasted chicken or turkey. After going through dozens of birds with various recipes, and ordering Poulet Roti all around the country in corner-shacks to shirt and tie establishments, I've concluded that no one else can make one either! (At least not to my taste anyways).

My solution is to break down the chicken into three pieces... two leg "quarters" and a "hotel" style breast. Everything gets rubbed with a bit of butter, sprinkled with kosher salt, and roasted in a 400F oven. Start the legs early, and they will be done when the collagen and connective tissues have broken down into luscious finger-coating gelatin. The breast will be done when the thickest part reaches 160-165F. Around 170F the breast begins to dry out.

I've had good birds cooked this way anywhere from 350F-425F - although I find that the best ratio of browned skin and evenly cooked meat occurs (in my oven) around 400F.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
I've never had a perfect whole roasted chicken or turkey. After going through dozens of birds with various recipes, and ordering Poulet Roti all around the country in corner-shacks to shirt and tie establishments, I've concluded that no one else can make one either! (At least not to my taste anyways).

My solution is to break down the chicken into three pieces... two leg "quarters" and a "hotel" style breast. Everything gets rubbed with a bit of butter, sprinkled with kosher salt, and roasted in a 400F oven. Start the legs early, and they will be done when the collagen and connective tissues have broken down into luscious finger-coating gelatin. The breast will be done when the thickest part reaches 160-165F. Around 170F the breast begins to dry out.

I've had good birds cooked this way anywhere from 350F-425F - although I find that the best ratio of browned skin and evenly cooked meat occurs (in my oven) around 400F.
Hi Nicholas.... Have you done this with a turkey? I've been cooking longer than you've been alive, and your method just never occurred to me before now. Thank you!! I've never tasted a perfectly cooked turkey before come to think of it. I will DEFINITELY give this a try. Throwing kisses......lol

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I have also struggled to get whole roast chicken right. I get my best results by cutting into the joint between the thigh and the body and spreading the leg/thigh away from the body so that joint will cook before the breasts dry out. I usually brine when roasting chickens.

On the other hand, since I started using the Good Eats roast turkey recipe, I get great results every time.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

<3 Alton Brown for introducing me to the brining method! My chicken never tastes salty and it's practically perfect every time. I also started elevating it on a little roast rack too because I was getting soggy and not so crispy chicken when I let it sit in its own juice.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Good Eats ROCKS!

Tags
None