"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Roasting A Chicken-HELP NEEDED

I have read so many recepies on roasting chickens and none of them seam to fit what I like. I am a very fussy eater and like everything plain, boring I know. I have been told that to keep the chicken moist you can put a lemon just inside then tie the legs tightly. I tried this but I dont like lemon so I did not like the flavour it left!!! I have heard that you can use a potatoe, just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this and how to do it?

I always put salt and pepper on my chicken and I always sprinkle veg stock the dried stuff u can buy over it. This gives a nice flavour. I don't like greasy chicken or dried chicken and I am struggling to find a plain recepie with out using wine or lemon or lots of butter and oil that will leave me with a chicken I will enjoy.

PLEASE H ELP ALL IDEAS WILL BE APPRECIATED

SHELLY :( :?

Old 11-23-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
There's no way around some butter rubbed on the outside of the chicken. Add some salt, pepper, and either fried chicken seasoning or rotisserie chicken seasoning and put it in a roasting pan, cover tightly with foil and lid and roast for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours at 250/275. Uncover and let brown in a hotter oven. Check leg for juices running clear.

Simple, moist, no lemon but you have to have the butter. Does this help? If you want to stick an cut in half apple in the cavity that gives a nice subtle flavor. One step further is the apple and 1/2 cup dry sherry - but then again it does give it a stronger flavor but dang, the gravy is super good and drinkable :oops:

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Have you tried cooking it in a bag? What type of liquids do you like? Any type of juices, sodas, etc? You could try adding your favorites to the bag along with any favorites veggies or fruit you make like.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:56 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Since you like the taste of chicken, what about some chicken broth?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Master Chef

As I've stated so many times, meat temperature is of paramount importance in both fowl and pork. Chicken is fowl and reacts exactly the same as does turkey, or any other lean bird. If you take the meat much over 160 degrees, it dries out and toughens. I have substantiated this with much experimentation, on the barbecue grill, in the oven, in the frying pan.

To assure yourself a juicy and tender bird, go ut and get yourself a good meat thermometer. I prefer the electronic type where you insert a probe into the breast and push it down to where the tip rests right next to the thigh joint. Set the temperature alarm to 155 and place in the oven, on the covered barbecue, or even in a lidded dutch oven. When the thermometer goes off, the bird is done. Let rest for 15 minutes or so before serving to allow the residual heat to complete the cooking process.

If you rub butter or cooking oil on the skin, or flesh if you've skinned the bird, and salt it lightly, the outside will develop that beautiful color and flavor. There really is no need to stuff the cavity with anything, unless you want the extra flavor that other herbs, or ingrediants adds.

I start my birds in a 450 degree oven, cook for about ten minutes, then turn down the heat to 375 and cook until the thermometer lets me know it's done.

I'm not kidding when I say that my chicken squirts you when you bite it. When you cook the meat just until it's done, whether its done by stir-frying cubes of meat, or rotating on a rotisserie, or barbecuing low and slow, it will be both tender and juicy.

Another little trick is to brine the bird, or inject it with chicken broth and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Good luck, though luck has little to do with it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

My same-'ol, same-'ol is putting a peeled, super-juicy orange in the turkey cavity, sprinkled with rubbed sage. Then, butter under the skin with more rubbed sage, and then on top of the turkey, a basting (every so often) of a mixture of (yes, you guessed it): rubbed sage, orange juice, marmalade, butter, honey and dijon. I like to roast breast-up for the first hour and then flip it down, so it gets juicy. The gravy is really good - I just mix in some Wondra and it's done.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:04 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I would just use a simple brine to keep it juicy, but without adding any additional flavors.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:39 AM   #8
Master Chef

Gary and I are going to form the National Brining Society and proselytise wherever we go!

If you want moist chicken there is nothing that can beat brining. Made a lot of fowl in my life and butter is good, bags are, too. But brining tops them all.

A plain brine with salt, sugar and water will give you moist savory meat with no added flavors.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:45 AM   #9
Executive Chef

We have never had a problem with moist juciey birds. Just a plain ol smoked turkey or chicken is so good. You may need a bib. Even had one of chicken thighs that squirted someone on the other side of the table.

For us, brining does not add any more moisture than we get from just smoking them. It didn't add any more flavor, maybe a different flavor, but not more. Changed the texture of the meat. We just didn't get any value added from brining. Not to mention the time/space involved.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Cheers from the NBS :)

One other suggestion is to make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure that you are not overcooking your chicken. That will help keep it as juicy as possible.

Tags
None