Roasting a whole chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

southernbelle5672

Assistant Cook
I am planning to roast a whole chicken for the first time next week. I would like to do it in the crockpot. I know I should just put water in there and let it cook for several hours. What vegetables and seasonings should I add?

And second, I would like to make my own chicken stock using this same chicken. How do I go about that?

I have never roasted a chicken in the crockpot. If you do try this, don't add water. It will be a simmered or boiled chicken, not roasted. From what I have read, it will take a LONG time (10 hours is what I read). However, it may be that you don't have an oven, in which case, I reckon it can be done in a crockpot. I don't see how you can make stock from this same chicken unless you use the giblets and bones from the already roasted chicken.
Likely, there is some trick that I am not aware of for this.
Someone will be along shortly to help. There is a tremendous number of resourceful folks here.

What do you want the end result to be? Roasted chicken w/potatoes and gravy? Chicken soup? I say go basic for the first time. Salt & pepper, celery, onions, carrots for stock and bet you could do it all in the crock. put the chicken on top the veggies and go w/it. Maybe add some stock or water, or beer wouldn't hurt. You can do the same in the oven also.

Just some ideas.

You can not really roast in a crockpot. In roasting, heat comes from all sides. This is not possible in a slow cooker.

You can certainly cook a whole chicken in a slow cooker though. How you do it depends on what you want the end result to be.

You can also then use the bones to make stock. Just separate the bones and then use any chicken stock recipe and go from there.

A really simple way to roast a chicken is by placing the bird on a bed of salt and baking at 400F for some 2 hours. Just dump about 2lbs of salt into the baking pan, place washed, but completely dried off chicken on the salt, breast side up, and stick in the oven. Keep the door closed - you don't need to worry about basting. And don't worry about all that salt. It only acts to absorb moisture from the air. The chicken won't be salty at all. This is pretty much a fool proof method. The meat will be nice and juicy, and the skin deliciously crunchy.

Back
Top Bottom