"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts were never meant to be roasted. Baking in a sauce - yes. Sauteeing - yes. Pounding thin & frying - yes. Cutting into bite-size pieces & stirfrying - yes. Poaching - yes.

Roasting - no.

You'll end up with dry tasteless chicken. Why oh why, with all the thousands of recipes for boneless skinless chicken breasts would you want to use one of the few cooking methods not suited to them?

I'd definitely stick to poaching for what you're doing with them.
Gotta go with Breezy on this one. I don't think roasted chicken breasts will hold up to the length of time it takes to roast them. They contain no fat so they cook in very little time. They won't have time to brown so what's the point of roasting them? If you do decide then go with the others' advice and leave the skin on and the bone in to retain some moisture but roast them for a very short time.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
Master Chef

I have an English lenguage question. What is roasting? It seems to me that I don't really know what it means.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I have an English lenguage question. What is roasting? It seems to me that I don't really know what it means.
Roasting is when something is placed in an oven and cooked with no addition of liquid to the pan...usually considered a "dry heat" method of cooking. People roast a whole chicken but it turns out because the bones give flavor and moisture. A boneless, skinless chicken breasts benefits from quick cooking either through a sear and not very long stay in the oven or several of the other methods mentioned above.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #14
Master Chef

Ok, so if I simply bake a piece of chicken breast it is called roasting. So what happens if i baset that same piece with some kind of sauce or marinad during baking?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

It will taste better.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #16
Master Chef

Ok, now I really do not understand what theproblem is then. I bake chicken quite often and is never dry and always taste good. The thing is not to overcook, period!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

That's right, Charlie. But, because the boneless skinless chicken breast is so lean, it's easy to overcook it.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts were never meant to be roasted. Baking in a sauce - yes. Sauteeing - yes. Pounding thin & frying - yes. Cutting into bite-size pieces & stirfrying - yes. Poaching - yes.

Roasting - no.
Interesting. I roast them all the time to freeze for salads. I don't need extra flavoring when all I'm going to do in the end is slather them with dressing. I always thought the point of boneless skinless was to get away from the fat of the skin and make roasting for salads easier. I had never heard not to roast them until today.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #19
Head Chef

I brine them for 20 minutes then grill them - perfect for paninni sandwiches and salads.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:

Roasting - no.

You'll end up with dry tasteless chicken. Why oh why, with all the thousands of recipes for boneless skinless chicken breasts would you want to use one of the few cooking methods not suited to them?

I'd definitely stick to poaching for what you're doing with them.
Not competely true.....I marinate boneless chicken breast over night with a good marinade and grill them (put a small aluminum pan of water on the grill while the chicken is cooking)I even broil them, when your done put them in a metal pan with cover, let them sit for a while and all juices will build up in the meat. Very tender and juicy.

Tags
None