Roasting Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
Whenever I make a large amount of boneless skinless chicken breast to be cut up and frozen in one cup portions, I usually poach them in some chicken broth and a bay leaf. However, I would like to try roasting them instead. Would this work or would there be too little fat and they would just dry out?

Thanks for your help!
Jan

You could bake or grill them, hoever it very important not to overcook it. You can marinade them first, or brine it. Just make sure not to overcook it and you'll be fine.

you would be better off roasting them with bone and skin, cheaper too.

You'll add a lot of flavor if you roast them with the bone and skin on. Just drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Personally, I love to add some garlic powder and rosemary to mine. I find them to be very moist when roasted.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts were never meant to be roasted. Baking in a sauce - yes. Sauteeing - yes. Pounding thin & frying - yes. Cutting into bite-size pieces & stirfrying - yes. Poaching - yes.

Roasting - no.

You'll end up with dry tasteless chicken. Why oh why, with all the thousands of recipes for boneless skinless chicken breasts would you want to use one of the few cooking methods not suited to them?

I'd definitely stick to poaching for what you're doing with them.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts were never meant to be roasted. Baking in a sauce - yes. Sauteeing - yes. Pounding thin & frying - yes. Cutting into bite-size pieces & stirfrying - yes. Poaching - yes.

Roasting - no.

You'll end up with dry tasteless chicken. Why oh why, with all the thousands of recipes for boneless skinless chicken breasts would you want to use one of the few cooking methods not suited to them?

what Breezy said.... :)

Ain't necessarily so...I roast or grill 'em, then slice for salads. I have a pump aerosol sprayer filled with evoo. Spray 'em, sprinkle liberally with cracked pepper and roast on a rack with some water in the pan or grill fast and hot hot hot. Just be careful not to overcook. use a meat thermometer to check. I should add that I fold the small "tail" end under so the breast is pretty much of uniform thickness. Cooks more...uniformly.

Ain't necessarily so...I roast or grill 'em, then slice for salads. I have a pump aerosol sprayer filled with evoo. Spray 'em, sprinkle liberally with cracked pepper and roast on a rack with some water in the pan or grill fast and hot hot hot. Just be careful not to overcook. use a meat thermometer to check. I should add that I fold the small "tail" end under so the breast is pretty much of uniform thickness. Cooks more...uniformly.

Gadzooks..... OP might like a roasting time. I didn't see one posted.

Actually, when they're placed on a rack over water, that's more steaming than roasting.....:ermm:

I go by temp. 160°f. And when I say "water in the pan," I mean very little water in the pan. It will be gone before the bird is done.

Roasting - no.

Gotta go with Breezy on this one. I don't think roasted chicken breasts will hold up to the length of time it takes to roast them. They contain no fat so they cook in very little time. They won't have time to brown so what's the point of roasting them? If you do decide then go with the others' advice and leave the skin on and the bone in to retain some moisture but roast them for a very short time.

I have an English lenguage question. What is roasting? It seems to me that I don't really know what it means.

I have an English lenguage question. What is roasting? It seems to me that I don't really know what it means.

Roasting is when something is placed in an oven and cooked with no addition of liquid to the pan...usually considered a "dry heat" method of cooking. People roast a whole chicken but it turns out because the bones give flavor and moisture. A boneless, skinless chicken breasts benefits from quick cooking either through a sear and not very long stay in the oven or several of the other methods mentioned above.

Ok, so if I simply bake a piece of chicken breast it is called roasting. So what happens if i baset that same piece with some kind of sauce or marinad during baking?

Ok, now I really do not understand what theproblem is then. I bake chicken quite often and is never dry and always taste good. The thing is not to overcook, period!

That's right, Charlie. But, because the boneless skinless chicken breast is so lean, it's easy to overcook it.

Roasting - no.
Interesting. I roast them all the time to freeze for salads. I don't need extra flavoring when all I'm going to do in the end is slather them with dressing. I always thought the point of boneless skinless was to get away from the fat of the skin and make roasting for salads easier. I had never heard not to roast them until today.

Roasting - no.

Not competely true.....I marinate boneless chicken breast over night with a good marinade and grill them (put a small aluminum pan of water on the grill while the chicken is cooking)I even broil them, when your done put them in a metal pan with cover, let them sit for a while and all juices will build up in the meat. Very tender and juicy.

Back
Top Bottom