Roch's Chicken Cacciatore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was planning on making this tonight, Valentine's Day.

I can't find my chicken. I know there should be a frozen chicken. I looked in the chest freezer in the basement. It's almost empty, so I should be able to see it if it is there. I looked in the freezers of both fridges and took stuff out, but no luck. Where could it have gone? :ermm::LOL:

You really are the forum mom aren't you! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Chief. No offense meant or taken. Good points and all in good conversation.

Ha! Mom? Me? Hardly. I'm offended by your presumption that you know what's best for everyone, and you didn't exactly invite more conversation.

You'll note the Chief said he thought about x, but didn't say it. Because he is a kind person who has learned patience and tolerance.

Last edited:
I make caccitore with any type of game and one of the best was with elk steaks which I tenderized like Swiss steak then baked in a marinera with added mushrooms and onions.

I googled it and came up with this.

Swiss Steak Trivia | Heavenly Homemakers

I guess the Swiss call it mincemeat so everyone has their own term for the process of pounding the meat to make it tender. I use a meat mallet then roll the steaks in bread crumbs and fry in canola oil. It's then baked off in a marinara with lots of garlic, onions, and mushrooms. I'm sure there as many recipes for this as there are cooks that make and it evolves into your own recipe. I did the elk for an Italian friend and he loved it.

I haven't made this dish in some time. SO has an issue with the texture of the skin's being soggy and limp. I've made it without the skin, just browning the chicken pieces but she was underwhelmed.

Does this bother anyone else?

Try dredging the chicken in seasoned flour before pan frying it. The flour will help brown the chicken and make the skin crispier going into the pot, the bits of flour will give a little more body to the sauce.

This is on the list for the weekend!!! :yum:

Try dredging the chicken in seasoned flour before pan frying it. The flour will help brown the chicken and make the skin crispier going into the pot, the bits of flour will give a little more body to the sauce.

This is on the list for the weekend!!! :yum:

It's how the skin is coming out of the pot that's the issue. Braising and crispy don't go together.

Well, I used the method I mentioned for chicken cacciatore (we don't like mushrooms so I use bell peppers) and it worked great. Crispy skin and tender, flavorful meat. Yum.

Attachments

• 1445348742583.jpg
    1445348742583.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 1445348759268.jpg
    1445348759268.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 197
900x900px-LL-329b6ec9_GoodEats001.jpg

We love Cacciatore, I make it it often, but with a twist.

I dice up boneless-skinless chicken thighs into bite size pieces, brown it along with some garlic, mushrooms, sweet red peppers, sweet onions and deglaze the pot with stock.
Pour in some marinara (I've always got some homemade in the deep freeze), simmer for awhile and it's dinner time.
DH likes rigs the best over any other pasta, but it's good with just bread too.
Rock, I think I may try this with capers too, I've never done that.
I have seen recipes that also include carrots and celery. Some times I'll omit the `shrooms if I don't have any and want a quick meal. But I've always got onions in the pantry and sweet red peppers chopped up and in the deep freeze from when they were on sale, waiting for me anytime of year.
There are as many ways to make cacciatore as there are kitchens ;)
each one different and unique.

Back
Top Bottom