Roch's Chicken Cacciatore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Hello. Even though it is hot, I was craving some comfort food after watching a few episodes of Rick Stien's Mediterranean Adventures. I had half of a chicken in the fridge so.......Cacciatore it was going to be...

Chicken, cut into pieces, can of diced plumb tomatoes, peppers, onion, olives, mushrooms, garlic, capers, a few dried chilies, olive oil, white wine, a few fresh herbs(I used basil, thyme and parsley.
I forgot to include a couple of important ingredients in the first photo:LOL:

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 415
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 319
Salt and pepper the chicken pieces and brown in olive oil. Then I removed the chicken and drained the oil. This is optional, but I do it because I don't need the extra chicken fat.
Then I added more olive oil, sauteed the onions, garlic and chilies until they were soft and then de glazed with a good wallop of white wine. Reduced that to about half and then added the tomatoes, a bit of pepper and let cook for about 20 minutes until it started to thicken.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 318
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
After about 20-25 minutes on simmer, I added the rest of the ingredients. Peppers, capers, mushrooms, olives, herbs, chicken. I covered the pot and let that go for another half an hour or more.

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 317
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 323
Pretty much done now. I turned it off and let is sit and stew while I cooked up some pene. After draining the pasta, I like to put it back in the pot and add some sauce to coat it a bit. Then I served it up with some Parmesan and more fresh parsley.
There you have it. Hope you enjoyed reading about it....

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 322
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 344
Roch, I have a tried and true cacciatore recipe I used in my catering days that I wouldn't trade for the world.

However, I really want to try yours as just looking at it makes mine pale in comparison. I will have to exchange a few ingredients for our food allergies, but it won't change it much at all. This sounds awesome!

Thanks everybody. I could have let this cook a little longer, but I got a late start on it and didn't want to eat too late. I had a bit of tomato juice in the fridge I could have added if I wanted to thin out the sauce so it could stew more....

Keep this up and you'll be competing with me for selling cookbooks. Nice job, nice tutorial, nice recipe, nice pictures. When ya coming to the U.P. to make me some?:LOL: I just have to hold the wine. Don't like it, won't use it. I'll have to think of something else to de-glaze with.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I make this, almost exactly like you do, Rocklobster. But I thought I made it up. LOL I didn't know it was Chicken Caccatore. I just call it Italian Chicken. Now I can impress my family and call it Chicken Caccatore. It's an easy recipe, and I almost always have all these ingredients in the house.

Keep this up and you'll be competing with me for selling cookbooks. Nice job, nice tutorial, nice recipe, nice pictures. When ya coming to the U.P. to make me some?:LOL: I just have to hold the wine. Don't like it, won't use it. I'll have to think of something else to de-glaze with.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
The wine is optional. I would use a bit of chicken stock....

I make this, almost exactly like you do, Rocklobster. But I thought I made it up. LOL I didn't know it was Chicken Caccatore. I just call it Italian Chicken. Now I can impress my family and call it Chicken Caccatore. It's an easy recipe, and I almost always have all these ingredients in the house.
I use a recipe I saw once done by an older Italian chef called Pasquale. You may have seen his shows. But, I use what I like and what I usually have on hand also......But one thing I go for is a tangy, and a bit spicy, sauce....I cook with wine almost every chance I get. It adds to the richness of any dish it is traditionally used in IMHO...plus I usually have a bottle on the go at the time, anyway:LOL:

Last edited:
I'm glad someone bumped this thread. I had forgotten about this recipe and I think I will be trying it soon. I have copied and pasted the whole thing, including the pix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom