"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Shish Kabobing Advice

Ok so when I think of the summer I think of shish kabobs. Maybe its the vibrant colors, or the fact that people eat a lot of things on sticks in the summer while grilling or having a camp fire.

My question is, is there a way to do shish kabobs without a gas or charcoal grill and either in the oven or in a pan? And if so what would I put the meat and veggies on?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Master Chef

Cook your kabobs under a broiler. Kabobs are cooked by intense infra-red radiation, aka, heat waves, usually over charcoal or gas flame. But a broiler cooks food the same way. You just don't get the addition of that great smoke flavor from fat dripping down to create smoke. You can get some of that flavor back by making a solution of liquid smoke and water, and brushing it onto your Kabobs before they cook.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You could try doing them under the broiler. It cooks like and upside down grill.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I put all my meat on one skewer, all the peppers on another, all the mushrooms on another, etc., because they don't cook at the same rate.When plating, I plop them on the plate as if they had been pulled off the skewer. I only do this for family, so no one minds that the stuff isn't all on the same skewer. I've done them on charcoal and gas bbqs. I put the meat skewers on first, the pepper and onions next, the tomatoes and mushrooms last.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I put all my meat on one skewer, all the peppers on another, all the mushrooms on another, etc., because they don't cook at the same rate.When plating, I plop them on the plate as if they had been pulled off the skewer. I only do this for family, so no one minds that the stuff isn't all on the same skewer. I've done them on charcoal and gas bbqs. I put the meat skewers on first, the pepper and onions next, the tomatoes and mushrooms last.
+1
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Ok so if I do broil it. What temperature am I looking at, And times for the meat, and different veggies?
-Also am I putting it on a sheet pan or just putting the skewars on the racks?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Shish Kebabs: Souvlaki with Lamb & / Or Swordfish

Interesting post and thank you for posting ...

I have been preparing lamb Kebabs and swordfish kebabs and they are delicious ... I grill under broiler in oven, as we live in an apartment ... Here is a foto:

Buonasera, Ciao.
Margaux.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KEBAK.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	14764  
Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Put the skewers on the broiler pan to catch drippings. I'd go with CWS4322's suggestion of doing the meat on separate skewers from the veggies as they have different cooking times.

Broilers don't have temperature settings. Some have a high and a low setting. Use the high if there is one. Otherwise set the oven control to the BROIL setting. The shelf should be adjusted so the meat on the broiler pan is 3-4 inches from the broiler element. You want to cook the skewers hot and fast.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I use metal skewers, but if you use bamboo (wooden ones), be sure to soak them first. I think 15 minutes? It has been awhile since I've used wooden ones.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
Ok so when I think of the summer I think of shish kabobs. Maybe its the vibrant colors, or the fact that people eat a lot of things on sticks in the summer while grilling or having a camp fire.

My question is, is there a way to do shish kabobs without a gas or charcoal grill and either in the oven or in a pan? And if so what would I put the meat and veggies on?
Place an oven-proof cooling rack on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. This method will work best if the rack sits an inch or so off the pan to allow air to circulate under the rack and cook the food from below. Place the shish kabobs on the rack and bake until done. Using an open rack with space beneath for air circulation, there is no need to turn the shish kabobs.

Oven Grilled Shish Kabobs | Shish Kabobs Recipe

In a pinch, I've marinated or drizzled w/ worcestershire & garlic powder, & nuked in a glass baking dish, covered w/ wax paper.

Tags
None