"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Shredded chicken in slow cooker

I made this today for hubby to take for lunch tomorrow, and for the kids to have a fun dinner tomorrow, there's something about sandwiches for dinner that makes them not give me a hard time eating

I had only 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
So I threw them in the crock pot, added 2 cans of root beer
Cooked them on high about 3 hrs...took the chicken out shredded it...(easily) added one bottle of BBQ sauce and another can of root beer whisked it together and added the Chicken back in just to get the flavor of the sauce...that's it!!! Try it, it was delicious

Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I forget to mention when I took the chicken out to shred it, I discarded the root beer the chicken was cooked in and put in one bottle of BBQ sauce and a new one can of root beer

Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds good! Something about root beer and slow cookers, they really go together. Regular Coke is nice to cook with too.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Master Chef

Boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked in a crock pot like that will be totally dried out. After its cooked through, the continued cooking time does nothing more than draw all the juices out of the meat which then disintegrates.

And all the chicken flavor from the juices was in the cooking liquid you discarded.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked in a crock pot like that will be totally dried out. After its cooked through, the continued cooking time does nothing more than draw all the juices out of the meat which then disintegrates.

And all the chicken flavor from the juices was in the cooking liquid you discarded.
Actually it wasn't dried out at all, I usually don't use boneless for that reason, and I know that putting it back in with the sauce would normally dry it out more, and I know that I discarded the juice from the chicken...my point was that while boneless, and with discarding the juices it was cooked in, it was actually really delicious and sometimes if all you have in boneless, skinless...and not really in the mood for just fired or baked breaded chicken cutlets...this is a really great recipe...by all means cook it however you want lol that is the beauty of cooking after all...
All I had was chicken cutlet....and I was also looking for something different I could give to my husband for lunch instead of just the plain old breaded chicken....he loved it!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I've done lots of boneless chicken breasts in the crockpot, I've never had dried out chicken. It's one of my favorite ways to cook chicken!

I'm gonna try this next week, I love easy meals to stick in the crock. And I loooove root beer. Yum!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Sous Chef

is cooking with root beer a popular thing? Or your little secret. Never heard of or tried it before
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

As long as you aren't leaving the boneless/skinless chicken in too long, they won't dry out. I do a shredded chicken with BBQ sauce. I leave it on low for about 4-5 hours (my slow cooker is nice and slow, doesn't boil, just simmers around the edge). It is very tender and juicy. Now any longer than that and it could be quite dry.

Last time I made it this way was really good, I could have eaten the chicken as is, without shredding it and putting it back into the sauce.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal
is cooking with root beer a popular thing? Or your little secret. Never heard of or tried it before
One of my CP cookbooks has several recipes for meat/poultry with root beer.

I like chicken breasts done in the CP as well. As Bakechef advised, don't overcook, they'll be fine.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Master Chef

With all due respect, cooking is science.

Cooking chicken breasts in a crockpot for 3 hours on high will dramatically overcook them. Once past the point of being fully cooked all continuing to cook them does is drive the chicken's juices out into the cooking liquid.

So the chicken will dry out. You probably don't notice it since you use a lot of sauce. If you like it then keep on keepin on!

But in general, chicken breasts aren't a good protein for a slow cooker.

Tags
None