Slow Cook Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpediem79

Assistant Cook
I am having a problem. I have a whole chicken I just bought, about 4 lbs. I was planning on cooking it on the grill, but time contraints have left me unable to do so. We are going to see a movie, so now I have to cook it quick, in under an hour when we get home, more like 30 min or so. The other option is cooking it slow, maybe crockpot or dutch oven? If I do it slow, need it to cook for 3 hours at the bare minimum.

Any input is welcome, thanks!

Cut the chicken into 4 pieces and place it, skin side up, on a cookie sheet. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place it into a 400F oven and bake.

Season your chicken as desired and toss in the crockpot. Add a can of condensed soup if you want gravy...golden mushroom is a good one. Otherwise, just put about 1/2 cup water in the pot.
Cook it on medium heat...it should be ready in about 4 hours. It's hard to say for sure, as crockpots seem to vary.

If you need it reliably cooked & ready to eat in 30 minutes "or so", even cutting it up & baking it in the oven won't do it. Depending on the thickness of the pieces (& a 4# chicken should have fairly thick pieces), those chicken parts will still take 45-50 minutes or more - even at 400 degrees.

If I were you, unless you've already tossed that chicken into the crockpot earlier this morning, I'd plan on something else for dinner tonight (take-out maybe?), & plan on making that chicken tomorrow or day next. It will still be fine.

.....no doubt you're already at the movies, but for future reference, if you have to cook it quickly, I'd cut the meat off of the bones, and into small chunks and stir fry with whichever veggies you have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom