"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Not so much for those who do not like turkey, but for those who do: a friend of mine puts the turkey in an electric roaster upside down and cooks it slowly. The breast comes out quite moist, but if you are going for presentation, it won't do because the skin is not brown and pretty. It did taste really good though. I think he had brined it first too!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #22
Executive Chef

When cooking a turkey upside down, you are supposed to turn it right side up for the last 30 minutes.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #23
Cook

When my family makes it, it's usually shredded all to hell. And dry. I have had fried turkey once. It was better than the roasted I have had.

My friends are going to start having an annual "friends thanksgiving" and I get a free turkey from work. I thought I'd donate it to the friend dinner and make it something different. I think I'll converse with the other cooks and see what they think. I like the smoked idea, though, sounds like my style.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef
When cooking a turkey upside down, you are supposed to turn it right side up for the last 30 minutes.
Well, he did turn it, but it wasn't pretty!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoMustard View Post
When my family makes it, it's usually shredded all to hell. And dry. I have had fried turkey once. It was better than the roasted I have had...

Sound's like my SIL's turkey. If her's was the only turkey available to me, I wouldn't like turkey either.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Make Turducken! I can't stand Turkey but I like it this way :) Turkey stuffed with duck stuffed with chicken!

No offense to you and please don't take it that way, but, that has to be the most unappetizing concoction I have ever heard of.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I understand the novelty of turducken, but it isn't on my list of must have foods before I die either. Heck, I don't even eat the sausages and whatnot stuffed inside a pig at a pig roast. Something about meat cooking inside of other meat on a large scale...
Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #28
Master Chef

i absolutely promise you that if you cook roast your bird, and it doesn't matter if it's done in the oven, or on the grill, or in a smoker, until the meat thermometer reads 160' in the thickest part of the breast, and remove it at that temperature, and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes, you will have the juiciest, most tender turkey ever. You don't have to baste it, or fuss with it at all once it starts cooking. Try it once, roasted breast side up, in a 375' oven. Figure about 12 minutes per pound to start. Then check the thermometer every 15 to 20 minutes until it comes up to temperature. Better yet, get an electric thermometer that will signal you when the bird is done.

You will see just how easy it is to make a great turkey.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turkey