"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I want to see your pics but can't, 1)- firefox doesn't even display them and 2) IE shows red X's but can't click on them cos work has blocked them arghhhh

but it all sounds good!!!! :)

Old 07-31-2007, 03:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Looks and sounds amazing, as usual, IC. I love seeing what you create. Thanks for posting the photo!

Foaming made me think you went and used to espresso machine. :)

Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
Sous Chef

woohoo am home and can see the pics, that looks reallly good!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I love making food an entire experience for the guest. Although bottom line, the food needs to taste good, I really like to touch on all dimensions for the guest. In this case, you have the visual aspect, but also the aromas. When the servers dropped the carpaccio on the guest's tables, the other thing that would immediately hit the guests would be the aroma from the truffle foam. It was pretty pungent but if you like the smell of truffles, then it would be a definite pleasant experience.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Ironchef, you haven't had a chance to ever get out to El Bulli or Alinea have you? If you have I'd like to hear what you thought, since you're in the same realm of food as those guys. I had no idea you were into molecular gastronomy. Personally I think it's a super cool food-movement, and I'd love to play around with some stuff, but it gets pricey real quick.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
Ironchef, you haven't had a chance to ever get out to El Bulli or Alinea have you? If you have I'd like to hear what you thought, since you're in the same realm of food as those guys. I had no idea you were into molecular gastronomy. Personally I think it's a super cool food-movement, and I'd love to play around with some stuff, but it gets pricey real quick.
No, I haven't been to either of those places although I would love to. The Fat Duck, Moto, and WD~50 would also be on my list of places to go. My exposure to molecular gastronomy has been what I've been able to taste at restaurants in Cali and Vegas, co-workers, and whatever I can scrounge off the net. I absolutely love this website. Guys like Grant Achatz, Ferran Adria, Homaro Cantu, and Wylie Dufresne are on a whole nother level. I like to dabble in molecular gastronomy but I don't know if I'd want to do it on the level that they do. Maybe if I spent some time in their kitchens I would change my mind.

The below pic is another example of molecular gastronomy from a dish on our regular menu. We make a beet "caviar" using a beet juice reduction and the sodium alginate/calcium chloride combination in this dish. I took this pic from a write-up that we had in a local magazine:

Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 PM   #17
Sous Chef

youre a bad mama jama.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
BT, have you been to any restaurants in NJ or NYC that use foams in their presentations?
i have, maybe once or twice, but i can't recall where. it must have been a special, and not something i'd drop big bucks for. i'm going to be tempted now, thanks to you.

i usually order based on a few criteria: is it fresh (ya don't order seafood in a roadside diner in iowa), or is it what the place is famous for; could i make it at home as well; and finally, is the price reasonable/excusable for the experience and/or the event, the effects of wine not counted.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i have, maybe once or twice, but i can't recall where. it must have been a special, and not something i'd drop big bucks for. i'm going to be tempted now, thanks to you.

i usually order based on a few criteria: is it fresh (ya don't order seafood in a roadside diner in iowa), or is it what the place is famous for; could i make it at home as well; and finally, is the price reasonable/excusable for the experience and/or the event, the effects of wine not counted.
I look at similar criteria when I order as well, but for me the biggest thing is flavor combinations. Even though I love scallops, I won't order it if I don't think the dish is creative enough. I like to order the menu or special items that use more exotic ingredients, or interesting preparation methods. The only thing that I will order regardless of all that is foie gras. I don't care if it's prepared in the most cliched way (usually with a fruit compote and some type of balsamic/port/wine reduction), I'll usually order the foie gras just because I can never have enough foie gras.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #20
Senior Cook

WD50 is an incredible place.

It's a ****ed shame that 71 Clinton closed, their tasting menu was a great bargain.

Apparently Adria, Blumenthal, and Keller have gotten together and decided that they no longer want whatever it is that they (at least Adria and Blumenthal) do to be called "molecular gastronomy", however they've decided that it should have some sort of name. I read this on Ruhlman's blog, not sure if there was ever any consensus after that.

Tags
None