Smoked Turkey Wild Rice Black Bean Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Smoked Turkey Wild Rice Black Bean Soup

Ingredients

1 Greenberg smoked turkey leg and thigh (or other smoked turkey)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 qt chicken stock ( I used 1 qt homemade and 1 qt Kirkland)
½ c. each chopped onion, carrot, celery ( I prechop and freeze a big bag)
1 lg bayleaf
Several sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 t. dried
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 c. precooked wild rice
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

Directions

Put everything except wild rice and beans into large saucepot. Bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer 2 hours.

Take out turkey, cool, and strip meat. Chop and add back to pot along with wild rice and beans. Heat and serve.

Last edited:
Thanks, CWS! DH is now a confirmed fan of wild rice.

Your previous link, that's the Native American wild harvested, right?

Thanks, PF! I usually only eat white meat, it's a great way to hide the dark meat from myself. And I don't tell me.

That sounds great CWS! I don't have smoked turkey, but I have tons of leftover turkey to use up. I've also got about a cup of Lundgren's wild rice and brown rices. I also have a can of black beans I didn't know what to do with. Everything but thyme, probably some Italian seasoning or poultry seasoning both of which I think have some thyme in them.

Zhizara said:
That sounds great CWS! I don't have smoked turkey, but I have tons of leftover turkey to use up. I've also got about a cup of Lundgren's wild rice and brown rices. I also have a can of black beans I didn't know what to do with. Everything but thyme, probably some Italian seasoning or poultry seasoning both of which I think have some thyme in them.

In that case, I wouldn't boil, just simmer. Keep tasting.

The smoked turkey put this over the top!

It was Dawglover who came up with this recipe--not me. And Lindgren's blend is cultivated--it doesn't have the smokey flavor that hand-parched natural wild rice has.I am just the person who grew up eating wild rice instead of potatoes!

CWS4322 said:
It was Dawglover who came up with this recipe--not me. And Lindgren's blend is cultivated--it doesn't have the smokey flavor that hand-parched natural wild rice has.I am just the person who grew up eating wild rice instead of potatoes!

Shoot. I guess we will have to call Miss Betty at the fabric store over the border to get wild rice after all. Too funny that they have a website, but you can't order!

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
Try the link I sent you or let me know how much you want and I can send it to you when I'm in MN in February.

Thanks CWS!

I'm warming the crockpot garlic chicken.

I love being able to have the crockpot by my hangout spot. Nice and cozy.

My take on this was to use 1/2 turkey stock, 1/2 chicken stock, dash of liquid smoke, 3 c chopped chicken (leftover from the buttermilk chicken), 2 slices of crumbled bacon (leftover), 2-3 T sour cream (emptying the fridge), 3 carrots, 1 small red onion (sauteed), broccoli (about 3/4 cup), 1/2 c edamene, about 2 c black beans, and 1 c red lentils, 1 c wild rice (raw--should've used more). It is a semi-cream soup. Oh, and I put in a splash of sherry. The chicken stock was a curry-based stock. Oh, and about 1/2 c grated Jarlsburg. Cleaning out the fridge and freezer! Thanks Dawglover for the inspiration of what to do with these odds and ends!

Last edited:
It is. If the DH doesn't show up soon, there might not be much left! I didn't any spices because of the curry in the chicken stock...but garnished with a dollop of sour cream and some bacon crumbs....it is really good...hmmm...I think I can handle another mug of it!

Last edited:
I tried to attach a pic to my earlier post--didn't work. Here's what it looked like today--it is going in the freezer--a friend is coming on Friday and I thought this would be nice for lunch. I put dried morel mushrooms in it this time, some fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh parsley, and a dollop of sour cream on top.

Attachments

• wild-rice-soup.jpg
    wild-rice-soup.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 291
Looks great, i love using black beans. I recently made feijoada and it's so basic and so tasty.

Back
Top Bottom