Smoking a chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you watch one of those smoking marathons on TV, often in bad weather, you will see some of the folks with smaller vertical smokers using them.

I have a whole chicken in the smoker right now. Im so excited!! I brined it overnight, then injected it with liquid I soaked garlic and herbs in for about and hour. (I strained the liquid off so my injector wouldn't get clogged) Hopefully it will be as good as the turkey I smoked for thanksgiving :) yum!! Wish me luck!

View attachment 16767

View attachment 16768

I'm sorry, but I've looked at this thread since it's beginning and I just can't resist.

Smoking a chicken? Isn't it hard to keep lit? I know. Lame, but Buck made me do it. That's a comment he would have made and it just squeaked out of me. I'm still giggling.

Sorry for derailing your thread, Skittle.

I'm sorry, but I've looked at this thread since it's beginning and I just can't resist.

Smoking a chicken? Isn't it hard to keep lit? I know. Lame, but Buck made me do it. That's a comment he would have made and it just squeaked out of me. I'm still giggling.

+1 lol. Probly hard on the lungs too!!

I did brine it, CWS :) it was really juicy, just stringy and chewy.

When I saw, "Smoking a chicken" and my mind said, "What has this person been smoking to make them think they could smoke a chicken?" :LOL:

:snicker: My first thought too, Katie!

By insulation blanket I meant one you would buy, not something you would have at home. They are fire proof. Sometimes they are called welding blankets.
Just so I don't confuse anyone ;)

Hey Pac!! If you already have one of those, you could use it the next time you want to do "Crock Pot Canalized Onions" outside in the winter!! ;)

Hey Pac!! If you already have one of those, you could use it the next time you want to do "Crock Pot Canalized Onions" outside in the winter!! ;)

What, and have my welding blanket smell of onions?!
:LOL:
I use a plastic 55 gal drum that I have cut the bottom out of as an insulation shroud. It's got a few bullet holes in it, but you'll have that in the country ;)

Attachments

• smoker shroud1.jpg
    smoker shroud1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 177
Yep. It's great on windy days. I use it on long Q's, too. I can damper the vents more and the charcoal lasts longer.

Smoking chicken with a water pan will almost always give you rubbery skin. Try a higher temperature, 225 to 235 degrees, with no water pan. Baste once or twice with oil or butter.

Alternatively (my prefered method), smoke it for an hour with medium smoke, then transfer to a preheated oven at 350 or 375 until done.

Back
Top Bottom