"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

So What About The Turkey?

I've read all about brining, recipes, and the best way to prepare a turkey but what about my first choice when I go pick up the little feller at the store. Organic, frozen, already brined, brands: Jenni-O, Butterball, etc. Anyone have any suggestions or favorites? Or doesn't it matter?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Master Chef

After buying & enjoying our first fresh organic free-range turkey from Whole Foods several years ago, we'll never go back to any other. Worth every single penny & then some.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

I always bought the store brand that was on sale, but DH usually buys Butterball.
As for free range, I had enough grasshopper chickens and turkeys when I was a kid.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

And I had enough hormone, antibiotic, & sodium/water/margarine-injected "self-basting" turkeys growing up as well. Now that I'm all grown up & know better - I'll never go back to either store brands or even name brands for whole turkeys again.

The organic free-range turkeys being sold today don't exactly come from a gaggle of scrawny birds picking grasshoppers out of an abandoned farmyard Constance. If you haven't tried one outside of when you were a kid, don't knock them.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Milton the turkey was dispatched yesterday and has been hanging for me ... I will pick him up tomorrow and season him Wednesday for roasting Thursday. I agree with Breezy 100%

However, not everyone has WHole Foods or a free range farm nearby or the $$ to get such birds which are pricier for sure. That being said I would look for a brand that was saline injected (brined more or less) but not loaded with margarine like Butterball. (you can rub your own herbed butter under the skin if you so wish).

Happy T day
Old 11-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

We always get the free turkey at the supermarket. I don't know when is the last time I ever bought a turkey.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
After buying & enjoying our first fresh organic free-range turkey from Whole Foods several years ago, we'll never go back to any other. Worth every single penny & then some.
And how many pennies exactly is it? Just wondering?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Since it's just DH and me this year I bought a Honey Suckle young turkey only 11 pounds. Don't know if there is a difference between a young turkey or the other. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Just the 2 of us, so we bought a 10-12 pound fresh Hoka turkey. We'll pick it up at the butcher shop in the morning.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Master Chef

No difference. ALL commercial turkeys sold are "young". Stating it is just advertising.

As far as how much our fabulous organic free-range turkey is costing us CharlieD - $2.99/pound. And worth every single penny. From the first time we went out on a limb & ordered one about 8 years ago, we've never gone back. The flavor, the juiciness - which extend to the leftovers thricefold - make it worth every single penny. I'll NEVER go back to supermarket turkey for Thanksgiving. It's just that good.

Tags
None