"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 10-14-2004, 07:06 AM   #11
Executive Chef
They came with the house (my husband's grandmother's).

It was ok, not sure it was good enough for all the work involved. We probably won't make another one.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:05 AM   #12
Originally Posted by AllenMI
OMG! Rainee, I grew up eating off those same plates! Unfortunately, they are gone now, victims of accidents, every one. However, when my sister married, her DH had a few pieces of the set, and my DW has a few bowls of the set.

BTW, how did you like your Turducken?

These are the dishes I bought for my first apartment many years ago. My grandmother had some also, and I have found a lot more in thrift shops and garage sales.

I guesstimate I now have enough of the corelle spring blossom dishes and accessories to feed about 60 people.

choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:08 AM   #13
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
My grandma has some of those dishes too!
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:56 AM   #14
I love Corelle.. I have some myself.. they last forever!
Juliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #15
Head Chef
Wow. Thanks SO much for the pics Rainee. Nice ones. But I've got to know whether or not you brined the fowl, or your opinion as to its worth /need on turducken...?

PS: Snappy corelle...!
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:10 PM   #16
Executive Chef
No brine. Well we just have never thought that brining was value added for the time required to do it.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:36 AM   #17
Head Chef
Thanks Rainee, we have been thinking about making one for ten years or so and were just about to do it this year.

I always wondered if all of the work was worth it.

Your turducken looks wonderful, and we appreciate all the work you did. Thanks for the comment that you will probably not do it again.

I think you have given us a reason to postpone the venture for at least another year or so.

And then we will probably find another reason to put the task off a few more years.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:17 AM   #18
Master Chef
I believe this dish would be great more for braggin rights than for extraordinary flavor. However, if you are a true dtuffing lover, as I am, and the meat was juicy and well flavored, I can see this as a definite possibility smoked on a barbecue. It might then be worth the trouble.

Your boning technique reminds me of phisyology class in High School, where we dissected a cat, pickled in formaldihyde, and had to separate the skin, and all of the bones, muscles, and blood vessels. Of course we used razor-sharp scalpels for that job. Hmmm, I wonder if razor sharp exacto-knives would work for this job (muahahahaha, come here little student. Would you like to disect a turkey?) :twisted: I like boning the bird idea better though, as I wouldn't have to remember all of those Latin identifying names .

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote