"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-31-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sort of Kind of Chicken Marsala

Sort of Kind of Chicken Marsala

1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast
3 to 4 TBS all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
3 TBS or so of butter and some olive oil (light olive oil)
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup dry Marsala wine
2/3 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup fontina cheese (Fontina is best. I have used Gruyere but it wasn't strong enough - mozzarella would be way too bland. Swiss might be my second choice - might!)
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup diagonally sliced green onions

Pound out a whole chicken breast as flat as you can get it. The thinner the better in my book. I place each piece in a gallon-size zip-lock but don't zip; pound with a schnitzel pounder/flat mallet and it will pretty much fill almost the whole thing. Salt and pepper your flour and lightly dredge chicken.

Melt enough butter mixed with some light olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. You want to brown them fairly quickly because they are so thin. add chicken breasts but do not crowd the pan or the heat will reduce too much. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side - if you need to turn sooner then turn. Transfer to a baking sheet with very low sides - but make sure there are sides! Repeat with more butter and olive oil if necessary and cook chicken, repeating as necessary, until all pieces are cooked. Sometimes it takes several shallow pans if you are cooking for 4 or more people.

Melt about 1 TBS more butter in the skillet. Add the mushrooms cooking on medium high again or even high if there are a lot of mushrooms. If you don't cook high enough the mushrooms will "stew" in their juice and the object here is to caramelize them reducing and getting rid of that liquid ASAP. Stir until tender and well caramelized; add wine, broth and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boiling and reduce to a strong simmer until the mixture is reduced to about 1 cup (about 5 - 10 minutes). Pour over chicken.

Combine the two cheeses and sprinkle on chicken then sprinkle on the green onions. Bake uncovered in a 375º F. oven for 20 minutes.

Serve with linguini with some of the sauce poured over it and some more fontina on top. I have also steamed some asparagus, chopped them, and added them to the pasta too.

It's not as complicated as I've made it sound - I promise.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Cook

All I can say is YUM!
Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2005, 01:49 AM   #3

(Cut)/(Paste)(Tweak)

As we don't get "Marsala" wine, here, typically 'Elf, what would the "alternative" be?

Presumably, you serve this "over" something...I'm thinking "egg noodles", but what's your "recommend"?

Could I "safely" throw a whack of garlic in here? (My personal taste, I know, but the recipe omits it, and I'm wondering why?)(when/where to insert it?)

Does this get seriously "warped" if I use a "stronger cheese" like, say "Asiago" in lieu of the Mozza? (Don't know what Fontina cheese is...)

This looks "seriously good"...coming to think some really light capellini/"Angel Hair"/"Birds Nests" pasta could fit, too?

Lifter
Old 01-01-2005, 03:46 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
(Cut)/(Paste)(Tweak)

As we don't get "Marsala" wine, here, typically 'Elf, what would the "alternative" be?

Presumably, you serve this "over" something...I'm thinking "egg noodles", but what's your "recommend"?

Could I "safely" throw a whack of garlic in here? (My personal taste, I know, but the recipe omits it, and I'm wondering why?)(when/where to insert it?)

Does this get seriously "warped" if I use a "stronger cheese" like, say "Asiago" in lieu of the Mozza? (Don't know what Fontina cheese is...)

This looks "seriously good"...coming to think some really light capellini/"Angel Hair"/"Birds Nests" pasta could fit, too?

Lifter
I had to "quote" you so I could pay attention to what you said! lol

If garlic were inserted I would probably add the garlic with the mushrooms. I LOVE garlic but this recipe is wonderful as is - but like I said - the mushrooms would be the best place.

The only reason Mozzarella is mentioned in case someone likes a much nilder cheese - if you like Asiago then you will like Fontina - but Asiago is fine to use - try Fontina of you can get it though. Asiago is the way to go if Fontina is not available - GREAT substitute!!!!

An alternative to Marsala is possibly a port? It would give the sweetness - but obviously a Marsala is best. Port seems the most logical as it offers a certain sweetness that the Marsala has.

I love angel hair/cappelini - but sometimes I want a bigger pasta like linguini or fettucine with this dish - it's just a personal preference though. It holds up against the mushrooms and the actual cooked poultry the way I like it too - but I can assure you if you prefer the angel hair - it won't be bad. Juat my personal preference in this particular instance to go with a thicker pasta, which is HIGHLY unusual for me!! LOL

With that being said Lifter I think you will like it.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:06 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by "kitchenelf
If garlic were inserted I would probably add the garlic with the mushrooms. I LOVE garlic but this recipe is wonderful as is - but like I said - the mushrooms would be the best place.
Yeah, there's a lot going on here between the sauce, the mushrooms and the cheese and green onions. I love garlic too, and think it almost always improves a dish, but I'd worry that in this case adding garlic might be gilding the lily. 'Twas me, I'd slosh a whole clove around with the mushrooms, and then discard the clove.

As to the wine, a red Zinfandel might work ... ? Going out on a limb here, I'm a dumb-o about wines, but I'm trying to change that.

Cats
Old 01-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Any red wine would be fine - but Marsala has a totally different flavor than red wine - almost more of a cream sherry quality. By changing the Marsala the integrity of the dish will definately be compromised - you will still end up with a wonderful dish - it just won't be close to this one.

Yes, you are right, the dish has a lot going on flavor wise - it truly is good as is.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm supposed to be eating more chicken (beef, pork, etc. are too high in acid ash for my kidney stones), but I tend to get tired of chicken pretty fast. This recipe looks great! I'm always looking for more ways to add chicken to my diet, and I think this will be a wonderful change.

:) Barbara
Old 01-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
Executive Chef

This recipe gives me a good incentive hunt down a bottle of Marsala, and few others I've been meaning to get! Would Farfalle be a bit too, trouble finding the right word, "chunky" or is a long noodle preferable?
Old 01-03-2005, 02:11 AM   #9

Dunno if Port is the way to go (I like "Port", but its somerthing to "taste" after a good meal, not, typically something to cook with...so lets go with a cheap and sweet, red wine, there's enough of the "brown baggers" around, that we don't need to get snooty...)

As for the "light" vs "heavy" pasta in terms of "noodle weight", it would be "interesting" to take this down to "capellini", but that was my idea of "big" egg noodles...maybe fettucini, but getting "heavier than that" I get into personal "taste" issues (or at least until the "Penne Rigata" thing!)

Note to Barbara L that beer is ALWAYS a great accompaniment to Italian cookery, let alone pasta, and will "cure" kidney stones as quickly as any other medicine...just lay off the"cheeses" and calciums...but take a Dr's advice rather than mine!

(And I was just trying to find a way to "weasel" out of the mushrooms, as these are not my favourites!)

LOL!

Lifter
Old 01-03-2005, 03:30 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

OK - Marsala is the only thing that will make this dish "this dish". Other than that you willl change "this dish". A dry sherry will come close though. Some Port in the French Onion Soup I have posted here is GREAT!!! But more in the recipe is horrible.

And if you don't like mushrooms you will still find this dish ok - just really reduce the Marsala and chicken broth - you could always caramalize onions and garlic. The Fontina, Parmesan, and spring onions make this dish wonderful. I wasn't sure I had enough "broth" so I added a dose of broth and Marsala to the pan right before putting into the ove - it was PERFECT!!!!

Tags
None