Sorta Like Cordon Bleu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I have to start by saying I've never had Chicken Cordon Bleu, though I've always intended to give it a go.
But I came across a recipe for a quick version of the dish, and Kim and I tried it out last. As always, I made a lot of changes to accommodate the ingredients we had on hand. While it is only a distant cousin of the real thing, it's very quick, easy, and quite delicious!

Ingredients:

The recipe called for 6 boneless chicken breasts, but I used bone-in chicken.4 thighs and 2 big breasts.

1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese (I had sliced, so I diced it.)
1/2 cup chopped ham (I used what was left of the sliced deli ham, plus a small can of ham)
1 can of cream of chicken soup (I used the lowfat kind)
4-5 tbls chicken broth

Trim the extra skin off the chicken and season with S&P. Go light on the salt, because the cheese, soup and ham are all salty ingredients.
Sear the chicken pieces in a hot skillet with a little olive oil and butter. Put the browned chicken in a baking dish.
Mix together the soup, broth, chopped ham and grated cheese. Spread over chicken, cover dish, and bake in 350-375 oven until chicken is falling of the bone. Ours took about one hour 15 minutes, but the time will vary according to what type of chicken you use. Boneless breasts will take less time.

Serve over cooked noodles.
We also had buttered brussels sprouts with ours. :-p

*Note: If you are averse to using canned soup, you can always make your own sauce simply by making a bechamel, using half chicken broth and half milk for the liquid. Season to your taste.

Last edited:
Constance - You should give this one a new name. It is *not* cordon bleu.

Sounds pretty tasty in a rustic way (I'd skip the condensed soup, add Rotel type tomato, and give it a name that was somewhere near the border). I know tthe swiss cheese doesn't quite work with that, but maybe a sharp "baby" swiss might.

Could also do it with shredded/pieces of chicken, and use borrito style shells.

What's Spanish for tasty chicken dish done in a bit of a Mexican style?

Just my thoughts...

Casper

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom