"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #1

I received a couple of squab last evening, on the hoof as it were. I was just going to sautee the breasts in butter and sherry. Any other thoughts on how to do this would be appreciated.

MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Master Chef
I have never cooked squab/pigeon/dove, but my MIL used to cook dove by browning it, adding a little braising liquid, covering and finishing off in the oven to make it tender.
You could brown it in the butter and then use the sherry and a little chicken broth for the liquid.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Well I can say I had squab now. I seasoned the breasts with pepper and one of those spice mixes and lightly floured. Then I browned them in butter (the real stuff not the imitation) then when they were sufficiently brown I turned them cavity side down, added a cup of dry sherry and simmered them for 20 minutes. Hmmmm. Hmmmm. I was surprised the meat was so dark and the closest thing I could think it tasted like is rabbit. I would have it again, especially considering the price. My wife said she would never order it in a restaurant, though I am sure an experience chef could make them outstanding.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote