Steamed Chicken with Shitake Mushroom and Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Savory

Assistant Cook
As I have mentioned in another post, I would like to share this recipe where chicken is marinated with soy sauce and corn starch first, then steamed with shitake mushroom. Hope you will find it interesting.

Steamed Chicken with Shitake Mushroom and Ham

This is one of my favourite ways to cook chicken.

Dried shitake mushroom is preferred over fresh ones due to its stronger aroma. Chinese ham has a delicate texture and it tastes a little like Virginia Ham.

There is no salt in this recipe, since soy sauce and oyster sauce give enough saltiness.

Cooking wine is used in marinade to remove the pungent odor of chicken. If you do not have it, it's ok. Ginger does the same job. Just use a bit more ginger.

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

Chicken drumsticks, chopped -- 8
Dried mushroom -- 5
Chinese ham, sliced
-- 5 or 6 slices
Soy sauce -- 2 tbsp
Cooking wine -- 1 tbsp
Oyster sauce -- 2 tbsp
Cornstarch -- 2 tbsp
Ginger -- 4 slices

Steps

1. Mix soy sauce, cooking wine, oyster sauce, and corn starch. Make sure there is no starch lumps. Marinade chicken with the mixture for at least one hour, or overnight.
  2. Soak dried mushroom in warm water for at least 30 minutes. Heat water in a double steamer until boiling.
  3. When the mushroom is soft, remove from water, and cut into thin slices.
  4. Arrange chicken, mushroom, and ham in a shallow dish. Place ginger slices evenly.
  5. When the water is boiling, place the dish in the double steamer and steam for 30 minutes.
Enjoy! :chef:

Last edited:
This sounds lovely, Savory, and very elegant! Thanks, will try it!

DSC_2676.jpg
pxkmX3Wohu6FizPLxkHDH1vgzkMmUZtcTNJTafB7Ntk

This is what it looks like!
pxkmX3Wohu6FizPLxkHDH1vgzkMmUZtcTNJTafB7Ntk

Savory said:
Can you see it now?

Yes, got the first pic, and it is beautiful!

I still get an error msg for the others, but it may be because of the iPad.

Kayelle, yes I the drumsticks in pieces. Steaming generates lots of broth. And the broth tastes very good.

That looks delicious, savory!
I don't have a cleaver, so I will try it with cut up thighs. Are you sure 30 minutes is adequate for steaming chicken thoroughly? I have some leftover Virginia ham, from Vermont...
Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks spork.
Yes, 30 minutes steaming is enough since the chicken legs are cut in pieces, so they cook quicker than whole chicken legs.
If you use thighs, you might want to cut them smaller; or steam for longer, like 40 minutes.

Nice job Savory writing up the recipe and taking your pictures. I hope to do as well some day.

I wish I could come over and try your cooking. I'm sure all your guests love it.

Dawgluver said:
Yes, got the first pic, and it is beautiful!

I still get an error msg for the others, but it may be because of the iPad.

It may be the iPad because the iPhone gives me an error message on the same pictures.

Thanks Charlie.

Greg, indeed this is one of the dishes that I serve guests with! It's well received among my guests. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom