Step right up folks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
part of my voluntary work brings me into contact with homeless/addicted youngsters from salford,parts of which are some of the most deprived,crime riddled,violent & drug infested in the uk.it is very rare to come across a drug addict or alcholic.they usually have both addictions with psychosis as a result.visions & voices etc.they will usually be on a cocktail of methadone,benzodiazepine & anti psychotics,plus drugs to conteract the side effects of the "treatment"drugs.they also buy diazepine,crack,weed & other illegal drugs on the street.to give someone alcohol in that situation may well make them vomit.if they have just taken their "meds" they would bring those up too.they would then,most likely,start to "rattle" then nosedive into a coma.
not good advice to administer alcohol on the streets,you don't know what else the recipient is taking.it may well kill them.

Harry I am talking about men and women in their fifties and sixties and up. These street folks were people my friend used to know personally. He used to be one of them. So he knew what he was doing. These were men and women who fought over a space on the grates in the sidewalk because steam would come up them in the winter and it was a warm place to sleep. These folks were not youngsters who were into anything that could get them high. They were into alcohol to keep them from getting sick. Drugs weren't around when they were teenagers. Or if they were, they didn't know about them. A lot of them were veterans of WWII along with Korea and began fighting their demons when they returned home from the battlefields. If you used one of the words you mentioned, they would think you were a foreigner and speaking a language they never heard. The only thing available to them at the beginning of their addiction was a fairly new organization called AA. Today, there are plenty of organizations in and around Boston that help the young people who are addicted to drugs as well as alcohol. They were not Dan's mission. The forgotten ones were. :angel:

understand where you are coming from completely,addie.but the only difference between your friends' friend's & my "service users"is years.the people i & others try to help are also forgotten.they are largely homeless or live in squalid,rat,flea,alcohol,drug,violence & abuse riddled hell hole hostels.many attempt suicide to escape their misery.if any amateur,however well meaning,were to "medicate" an addict/alcoholic on the streets they would be taken into custody.not so much because they had broken the law,but to protect the addict & themselves.the streets are dangerous.i receive ongoing training,including self defence/escape tactics.
you & i,i'm sure,have seen enough friends come to blows,in a pub or at a party,where drink is involved.i don't care how friendly your friend was with his ex comrades,an addict will do anything to anyone to satisfy their craving.reason & friendship mean nothing,and,ten minutes later when your friend had left & the whiskey fix had worn off....what then?
guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one matey:):angel:!!

Last edited:
Back on subject.
I was in Costco today to buy my turkey. The man was filling the case and told me this was it. No more turkeys in Costco after they sell out the ones they have.

So now I have a fresh turkey and have never had fresh, only frozen.
Must I brine?

Oh.....I needed turkey parts, so I went in the grocery store. They had necks, wings and legs. More legs than I have ever seen. Must have been 15 packs of legs.

Back on subject.
I was in Costco today to buy my turkey. The man was filling the case and told me this was it. No more turkeys in Costco after they sell out the ones they have.

So now I have a fresh turkey and have never had fresh, only frozen.
Must I brine?

Oh.....I needed turkey parts, so I went in the grocery store. They had necks, wings and legs. More legs than I have ever seen. Must have been 15 packs of legs.

No you must not. Will brining improve the turkey? I believe it will.

I bought a fresh Butterball Saturday at our usual supermarket. It was either $1.29 or $1.59 a pound. Then we went to Costco and saw fresh Butterballs for $1.09/Lb. Grrrrr.

There were a lot of turkeys at both locations. There was a "Limit 2 per Customer" sign at the supermarket.

No you must not. Will brining improve the turkey? I believe it will.

I bought a fresh Butterball Saturday at our usual supermarket. It was either $1.29 or $1.59 a pound. Then we went to Costco and saw fresh Butterballs for $1.09/Lb. Grrrrr.

There were a lot of turkeys at both locations. There was a "Limit 2 per Customer" sign at the supermarket.

We got our fresh Butterball for $1.01 a LB. The same turkey in the grocery store was $1.89 on sale.
I did not see a limit at Costco.
Costco really is a great store. They stand behind everything they sell with a full refund.
Great for electronics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom