"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 AM   #11
Sous Chef

you know I understand what ANdy is saying, but the only thing is...I take pains to place small amounts of chicken in the wok a little bit at a time. I mean this is one thing about stir fry I am very aware of....

Still may be this is what is happening..

Old 03-31-2005, 03:06 AM   #12
Executive Chef

If you're already adding the chicken in small bunches, then most likely your pan is not hot enough. Are you heating the oil until it smokes? Once the oil starts to lightly smoke, let it go for just a bit longer and then add your chicken. You might want to dust your chicken in a light amount of flour as well.

I think the worse example of showing someone how to properly fry food is Emeril Lagasse on his "Live" show. He adds oil to the pan, lets it heat for like 10 seconds and then he adds the food. The food just sits there in the oil and doesn't even cook.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:27 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
As usual, when Andy M speaks, the cooking world should listen. He nailed it. ...
Goodweed, you're too kind! Thanks for the compliment. I may hurt myself trying to live up to your expectations!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Many meats now have water injected into them. Remember

when it was only ham. Now beef, pork and chicken have added liquid but the labels should CLEARLY state this.
It could be that when your store repackages the chicken pieces they are not labeling them properly. I would be very specific when you ask the butcher about the chicken and maybe even ask to see the original labels.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:06 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'm with Andy IC and Liz

Stir fying, especially, takes a HOT HOT wok, which is why it's so hard to do on an electric cooktop.

Poultry that has been injected with brine will be labeled as such. I have never seen chicken treated like this, just whole turkeys.

But that wouldn't necessarily cause this problem.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:41 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I dunno, I usually let the wok get real hot. I turn the heat up max. high, and this is a gas range we're talking about. It should be very hot. But I dunno if I let it get to the smoke pt.

Lots of good ideas in here, I will have to explore several possibilities and get back...
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland
I dunno, I usually let the wok get real hot. I turn the heat up max. high, and this is a gas range we're talking about. It should be very hot. But I dunno if I let it get to the smoke pt.

Lots of good ideas in here, I will have to explore several possibilities and get back...
You HAVE to let the oil get to the smoking point. If you don't, you cannot stir fry properly.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #18
Sous Chef

This is interesting for me and it made me think of another question. Not to hijack the thread , but if you sear the meat, then does the flavor still get into the meat?

I ask this because I cheat and use a bottled stir-fry sauce (Mr. Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce - from the Sam's Clubs of the homeland). I want the chicken to absorb the sauce, so even though the chicken gets watery, I let it boil off in the sauce and the meat absorbs the sauce. I must be doing this wrong, but I don't know how to really stir-fry. Any suggestions>??
Old 04-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
... I want the chicken to absorb the sauce, so even though the chicken gets watery, I let it boil off in the sauce and the meat absorbs the sauce...
VC:

The chicken won't absorb much flavor in the pan. What's happening is, the liquid in the sauce is evaporating.

Marinate the chicken (or other meat) in the sauce for 30 minutes to two hours before cooking. Then stir-fry in a super hot pan in small batches to sear without experiencing the water problem. Then you can add the other stir-fry ingredients and the sauce to finish the dish.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #20
Head Chef

On the ubject of stir frying, I often wonder if regular home gas stoves can get hot enough. Ever seen those 'turbo wok' burners that are used in commercial kitchens? They look like they could power an F-16 fighter...

I've got a home equivalent, but using a propane burner indoors is very bad mojo.

John

Tags
None