"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2004, 05:10 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Chris,
Well, we studiously avoid buying meats that are packed this way. if you cannot, then a cold water soak OVERNIGHT with a few water changes will reduce the amount of brine in the bird by reverse osmosis. I doon't think you can get it all though.

Old 01-27-2004, 02:53 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

you may want to try organic or "free range" chicken meat. it's a little more expensive but they don't use chemicals or hormones at all in raising and processing the chicken. just an idea.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:30 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

salty chicken

Hi, Let me introduce myself, I am grammadee and I am new on this site, I was looking to see if anyone else encountered a problem with todays trend to market salty chicken, I have reduced kidney function and am having a hard time finding chicken I can eat, and eating out, well forget it! I found your discussion on the problem and want to know if anyone found and good way of removing most of the salt. When I read the sodium level on Perdue chicken I went into a rage, who gave them the right to add all that salt, they just about put me into congestive heart failure, I am so angry about what the government allows those big companies to do with what nature gave us, it's hard enough to find unprocessed nutrition without them slipping it past us by labeling it "minimally processed" does that phrase allow them to put in whatever additives they want without requard to our health, it seems to me to be just a way of adding shelf life to their product, without requard for human health. Sorry to go off, I told you it made me angry, so is there any hope to get all that salt out of the chicken, or do I have to go vegan to regain my health?
Old 06-24-2004, 07:35 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to RAYT721
GRAMMADEE ... WELCOME!!!

I can't help to answer your questions but I CAN say that you are making excellent points. Also, I would like to welcome you to the board. Thanks for joining us!!! /rayt721
Old 06-24-2004, 09:19 PM   #15
Everymom

Would soaking in buttermilk help it out?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Wow! I never even thought about this. I am supposed to cut back on salt too. I haven't cooked with salt or salted anything at the table for several years (except corn on the cob and occasionally roast beef), even before the doctor told me to cut down on salt, and I try to find foods that aren't full of salt. I have to cut way back on beef and pork, so I bought a ton of chicken at Aldi's yesterday, frozen leg quarters and boneless, skinless chicken breast. After reading these posts, I checked the nutrition labels. One leg quarter has 470 mg. of sodium (20% of the daily value). I thought that was pretty bad. THEN I checked the other. One breast piece has 930 mg. of sodium (39% of the daily value)!!! Yikes! Just more proof of what some of us have mentioned lately, you have to pay through the nose to eat healthy foods. I may have to start raising my own chickens!

:) Barbara
Old 06-24-2004, 10:48 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Barbara

Just for the record according to www.nutritiondata.com a serving of chicken breast before cooking has a mere 46 mg of sodium, food for thought ... or is it? I am hoping that the advice of a cold water soak will help. I like the idea of the buttermilk soak, but I am allergic to dairy so for me that is a no go, but you might try it, if nothing else it will add wonderful flavor.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

grammadee,

Yes, I will definitely soak it in something from now on. Buttermilk if I have it, water if I don't. I figure, every little bit helps!

:) Barbara

Tags
None